Travelling Stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Radar53

Re: Travelling Stones

Post by Radar53 »

Thanks for all the input ~ it's interesting to know how other people tackle it and I can see that there are numerous ways to skin this cat. Definitely a few things that I haven't considered here, so you've given me plenty of food for thought that I'll have to work through.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:32 am That's a good set for the road. I would even ditch the XXC and just do the combo and 5k.
—-
Except I’ve found the 400 in the combo not quite strong enough for some knives in bad shape. The same with the Shapton Glass 500. I have also carried the SP220 and wished for a stronger grit. The DMT XXC or Atoma 140 make quick work to follow with the 400-500 on up.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I definitely use the Atoma 140 when traveling, especially to the inlaws.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

OK so I'm making progress here & it shows how single minded I've been!

Carrier. I have a small container (approx 215 X 100 X 60mm) I bought previously with this purpose in mind. I think that it's a child's pencil case made of rip-stop nylon & it has three zippered main compartments, each with 1 to three internal dividers / compartments. With a bit of jiggery pokery I can squeeze in a full sized Atoma diamond plate. Not ideal, but gives an idea of the size.

Coarse Stone. Thanks to Gladius, Ken Ourorborus, Mark & Lepus for pointing me to diamond plates. I have a number of diamond grits / stones and certainly prefer to use them for flattening duties, so adding in the weight as well, this thought didn't enter my head. However tucked at the back was my DMT 6" X 2" XC / C diamond plate. A bit worn, but small, light, 2 grit sizes, still works reasonably ~ perfect. Can't believe I didn't consider this.

Combo Stone. I'm still considering some options here, but I am persuaded by the Cerax 1k / 3k. It is bulky though, so some more work to do here. Does anyone have measurements of the plastic "stone divider" please - because this might not fit into my carrier?

Strop. Some forumites have raised the idea of strops. I've previously made my own strops (250 X 60mm, glued to cut ceramic tiles) ie 4mm bovine, 2mm soft leather & thin Kangaroo. These would be a bit cumbersome, so I've just included a spare piece of the 2mm leather, cut to fit in the container, so 190 X 60mm.

Cutuu mentioned a stone holder so thanks for that as well. I don't always use stone holders and am quite comfortable using a folded wet paper towel on my hardwood sink bridge. But if I do use them, the only ones I have are the Suehiro Small Stone Holders. Some of my stones also come in their own holders. I'm not likely to want to lug my sink bridge around, but with small Suehiros you can top & tail them to make a very compact yet versatile package. Again, I never really considered them ~ no idea why not, but they are perfect for travelling.

So definite progress with stuff that was not in my thoughts originally. This will cope with most situations, excluding repairs, which suits me fine.

Thanks for your help so far.
Cheers Grant

Hari Itami

Post by Hari Itami »

Thank you to Radar53 for initiating this thread. I’m planning on doing more travelling as well as camping and other outdoor pursuits, so advice stated will help in that regard.

That said, what about thoughts on pocket stones for the minimalist?
- Hari

Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There Hari. For me, if was wanting to go absolute minimalist, I would use my EP stones because I already have a reasonable collection of those (14). Another alternative might be the Takeda stones see here <https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tahaheknsh.html> and check out the methodology here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB2A8z-WHQw>.

I'm sure that there are many other options as well and some members who know their outdoors stuff better than I might well be able to contribute here.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Another interesting Takeda reference. I like the was Pete Nowlan thinks so check this out as well; <https://sharpener-pete.blogspot.co.nz/2 ... ening.html>
Cheers Grant

Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Waterstones at home or 'base camp' have always been popular with outdoors enthusiasts in my experience. It has been a few years since I have participated on such forums but I still hit the woods. However after leaving home I do not find the need to carry such things. A dmt diafold in 'fine' fits in a pack, a belt pouch or a pocket well and works well enough for me on my ax/hatchet and knives if needed. A small loaded strop is nice to carry as well. You could even 'load' your belt...lol.

I suppose oil stones were once a popular thing. That is what my grandfather used.
Hari Itami

Post by Hari Itami »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm Hi There Hari. For me, if was wanting to go absolute minimalist, I would use my EP stones because I already have a reasonable collection of those (14). Another alternative might be the Takeda stones see here <https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tahaheknsh.html> and check out the methodology here <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB2A8z-WHQw>.

I'm sure that there are many other options as well and some members who know their outdoors stuff better than I might well be able to contribute here.

HTH
Grant, interesting approach as demonstrated by Takeda-san. A budget “Edge-Pro” setup. I like it!
- Hari

Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

I like the suggested combo plate, but for me I would choose shapton pro 2000. Great overall stone and the people I sharpen with it works better then the more refined 5000 edge.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Ut_ron wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 pm I like the suggested combo plate, but for me I would choose shapton pro 2000. Great overall stone and the people I sharpen with it works better then the more refined 5000 edge.
—-
No fine stone?
What’s your progression?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

I would take exactly what Mark is taking except I’d take the SG 16k in lieu of the strop since the SG 500, 2K and 16k all fit nicely into the Shapton stone holder, the lighter one. It’s an awesome setup. Mark sells it.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Rereading all of this I think it really depends on the mind set. If my intention were to go on a trip and sharpening were a big part of it I would take a full portable kit with full size stones. However, if there were merely a chance of sharpening one or two knives, I really could not bring myself to make the space for 2-3 stones, a plate, a holder and who knows what else. And that is particularly true if I am doing any air travel! I already downsized my computer to take with me when I travel because it is a pain to lug around a laptop so I use a tablet or a chromebook, whatever strikes my fancy at the time. That and carry on luggage only! I want my sharpening kit to be about the size of a wallet. :)

I think 2x6 shapton pro combos would be sick...For now I still like my edge pro stones in a pistachio bag. :D
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

gladius wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Ut_ron wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:21 pm I like the suggested combo plate, but for me I would choose shapton pro 2000. Great overall stone and the people I sharpen with it works better then the more refined 5000 edge.
—-
No fine stone?
What’s your progression?
The SP2K is a great stopping point for kitchen knives. If I was just doing minimal set up, this would be much choice.

OP, are you doing stages at different restaurants or just a week or two traveling here and there? No reason a knife cannot last a few weeks.... If just casual travel, I would not bring anything.

If you are doing various pro stages, I would bring a full set up, coarse-med-fine.

Diamonds are a great option as well if you know there is going to be some abuse.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

gladius wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm
—-
No fine stone?
What’s your progression?
For the people I am sharpening for are mostly relatives and they do not have very good knives. The best would be cheaper Germany knives and then box store knifes.

These just do not need a full progression so stopping at 2000 works. This also keeps the set smaller.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

This looks like another one of those topics which is all things to all people, from very minimalist to full workshop in a carry case. I'm probably looking for something towards the minimalist end, but not as far as Kits "For now I still like my edge pro stones in a pistachio bag." As previously, the pencil case I'm looking to use is approx 215 X 100 X 60mm rip-stop nylon and that's about as big or as much as I would want to take away with me.

@kaleb said "OP, are you doing stages at different restaurants or just a week or two traveling here and there? No reason a knife cannot last a few weeks.... If just casual travel, I would not bring anything." I'm definitely not a pro, just a home cook who loves sharp knives and takes them away for a week or two here & there. Apart from just wanting to keep everything top notch, what really got me thinking about this is recent trip where we stayed at a nice motel for a week. Rubbish house knives, but very modern ceramic cutting board hahaha. Despite taking as much care as possible, the edges on our good knives took a bit of punishment, which I couldn't address other than using the bottom of a cup or coffee mug (& no I didn''t!!).

Further to my earlier post the full sized Cerax combo with the plastic divider in the middle (it won't fit into my small carry case), but I've found other Cerax 1k / 3k combo stones, that don't have the plastic divider, in two different smaller sizes that will fit well. My reasoning for a 1k / 3k combo, (i) two stones for the one unit, (ii) 1k for if I want to work on friends' knives plus the 3k to add some refinement to any work I do on my own knives or for a light refresh, & (iii) the 1k / 3k complements my main full sized stones of 800, 2k, 6k, should I ever want or need to mix & match.

Thanks - this has been very thought provoking and useful for me.
Cheers Grant

Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I'm still amazed that you get knives in your hotel room. I am a bit simple, I guess. Even when I stayed at a few B&B's and country houses I can not recall ever having more than a serrated knife of some sort and or some table knives. I think for me the realistic answer, were I in your shoes would be my 'travel kit' which is knife oriented and has a ceramic rod. :) Well, even that isn't true. If I am on holiday, someone else is cooking. :D I already cook, on average, 3 times a day 6 days a week.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hey Kit, you're certainly not simple & maybe the hotels / motels over here just have a different history or something. I take your & kaleb's point about not wanting to cook while you're away, but we sometimes like to build a snack & cut salami, fruit, cheeses etc to have with a bottle of wine. Also we head away for a week every year to a seaside destination, fantastic place, wonderful scenery, plenty to do, but it caters to once through - never to be seen again tourists & so the eateries don't care and can turn out total crap. You end up paying big city prices for food that is poorly prepared, overcooked or burnt all just chucked together on a plate. We're not fussy or prissy & always try one or two of the "new" food places ever hopeful, but usually we're disappointed. ( Last year we had to send a fish & chips meal back twice, first time the fish & chips were burnt (very dark brown to black) and second time the fish was well off. We left without paying. Spent a fair bit of time thoroughly enjoying the UK pub meal scene, which leaves this place for dead. How hard can it be???? Sorry for the moan!

As a result, we generally do three or four straightforward meals for ourselves.
Cheers Grant

Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

I have now pretty much got my travel kit together and as I got so many good thoughts & suggestions I thought that I'd update where I've got to and share a couple of photos. I'm really pleased at how it's turned out and I've achieved just about all I was looking for.

Inside the travel kit, I have the following:
a) Left hand compartment;
DMT 6 X 2 duo with 220 & 325 grit diamond plate
Cerax combo 1k & 3k
In a separate pocket is a 60 X 190 bare leather strop
Sharpie type marker pen and clutch pencil to grid up stones for flattening

b) Right hand compartment;
Suehiro Small Stoneholders (end to end)
2 X EP stones (in a separate pocket)
2 (or more) plastic angle guides (I still need my training wheels haha!)

Photo 1 here <https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvptu7mt9qfu4 ... 1.jpg?dl=0>. This is the kit all zipped up - it's compact as you can see by the ruler. Just something else I've been working on was something to sharpen my new Takeda 210 gyuto using Takeda-san's technique, so I've cut down a spare EdgePro stone arm and can then choose stones from my collection of EP stones. While the cut-down arm itself wont fit in the kit, I can easily rubber band it to the outside, however the kit contains two EP stones.

Photo 2 here <https://www.dropbox.com/s/0clvndzl3ceme ... 2.jpg?dl=0>. Opened out to give you some idea of how it's packed. This should now cover most bases for me.

We're heading away for a week's holiday and I'm looking forward to giving it a test drive 8-)
Cheers Grant