Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH sharpening angles, asymmetric edge, and grits

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
dafox

Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH sharpening angles, asymmetric edge, and grits

Post by dafox »

I've been using a set of these knives as my go to everyday knives for a few months now and I really like them. They still have a very usable edge that just keeps going but the edges has some rolled and flattened spots, so time to sharpen.
Do you guys and gals maintain the factory angles and asymmetric bevels or do you do something else?
Also, what stones and grits do you find work well for this SK steel?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kit Craft

Re: Fujiwara Kanefusa FKH sharpening angles, asymmetric edge, and grits

Post by Kit Craft »

I pretty much keep mine the same. I thinned the front face out a wee bit. Maybe a degree or two if I had to guess. The back flips the burr very quickly. I treat it almost like a honesuki in that as soon as the burr flips, I switch back to the other side. Basically using the back only for de-burring. I stop at my Shapton pro 2k. It will take about any edge you want to give it but it won't hold much more than 3-5k for very long and to me even that is questionable. I think the 60 hrc is a very optimistic number. However, that is part of the appeal of the knives to me. They can take a beating! They take well to a ceramic rod too, with a micro bevel of course.

However, I will note that I now use my 180mm gyuto almost entirely for butchery. Well, and as a travel petty...lol.

The steel is fairly coarse grained, or so it acts. It will hold bite even at a high grit but it will not hold it on the board as long as it will hold the bite from a mid grit stone. Or at least that has been my experience.

That is of course assuming you are doing a full progression and or raising a burr. Touch ups are another matter and I maintain mine solely on the sp2k.
dafox

Post by dafox »

Perfect, thanks Kit!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

No problem.