What finishing stone do you like after chosera’s 3k

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Gunnergoose

What finishing stone do you like after chosera’s 3k

Post by Gunnergoose »

I am looking for a finishing stone coming off of a chosera’s 3000. I just want one more stone what do you suggest. I don’t want to spend more than $120-140 on a stone if cheaper that would be even better. I have all splash and go stones right now but I’m not against a soaking stone.
Kit Craft

Re: What finishing stone do you like after chosera’s 3k

Post by Kit Craft »

I think the Naniwa Snow white fits this role very well. It falls in line with the chosera stones well. Just a natural match. But plenty of stones could, theoretically, follow the choera 3k.

PS: Another one to consider is the Naniwa Fuji 8k. Razor guys seem to love it. I have not used this stone though.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Like this stone a lot! Arashiyama 6K also known as Takenoko 8k. It's a fast cutting stone that leaves a polish in the 6-8k+ range depending on how and how long you work on it. It's splash-n-go too. An absolute best buy synthetic finishing stone. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takenoko8000.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pjwoolw

Post by pjwoolw »

Nubatama 5K Bamboo is next for me.
Pete in San Ramon.
925-548-6967
acmesharpening@gmail.com
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Have you considered different strops?
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Just to get this out there, the Chosera 3k polishes far enough that the world is your oyster. Anything short of perhaps a 15k stone is within reach. I use a Snow White or Sanyo 6k after my Chosera if I use anything at all.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

My highest grit medium is a Kohetsu 2k & if I go into fine stones I follow this with a Cerax 6k & / or the Snow White 8k
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 pm Just to get this out there, the Chosera 3k polishes far enough that the world is your oyster. Anything short of perhaps a 15k stone is within reach. I use a Snow White or Sanyo 6k after my Chosera if I use anything at all.
Yep. It handles the jump to my Ha no Kuromaku 12k just fine (Pro 15k basically).
Gunnergoose

Post by Gunnergoose »

Thanks everyone!
old onion

Post by old onion »

love to end things with my Snow White.
Gunnergoose

Post by Gunnergoose »

Just placed my order with CKTG I'm going to try out the Snow White! Thanks for everyone's input.
RCaramonte

Post by RCaramonte »

Is the Snow White a splash and go like the Chosera, or does it require soaking?
Gunnergoose

Post by Gunnergoose »

RCaramonte wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm Is the Snow White a splash and go like the Chosera, or does it require soaking?
From what I have researched it’s a thirsty splash and go. But I do not have first hand experience hopefully someone else will reply to that question.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Snow White is a splash-n-go stone. This stone is hard and not overly thirsty. I usually pour some water on it and let it set for about 30 seconds, pour a little more on it and get to it. You push more water off of it than it drinks.
There was a white 8k in the Naniwa Traditional series that was said to be the new Snow White replacement for this stone when Naniwa went through it's change over a couple years ago. That stone was pretty thirsty and the one with the rep.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I usually just pour a little water over mine too and use a spray bottle as I go just as I do with my other splash and goes. I got mine from CKTG about a year or so ago. I really like the feel of this stone in use.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

The snow white is a great stone. As my sharpening skill progresses I find less need to go to higher grits. A 3K edge well executed and then well stropped will do 3" push cuts. I'm usually stopping at 2K chosera now. I have the 3K chosera, 4k Ume, 5K bamboo, 8K Snow white,.. but no longer really see the need unless you are in it for the fun... :twisted: For stropping, I have gotten away from all the compounds. I got a horse shell barber strop off ebay, brought it back to life with some saddle soap and neatsfoot oil. I guarantee you can get a screaming sharp edge starting from dull/new with Chosera 400, 1K, 2K + horse shell strop.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

My Snow White isn’t thirsty at all, I would echo what Jeff said, it describes mine own experience well. When I went to buy a Snow White 8k I did some reading. The original SW is the one that people really loved, the reformulated SW not so much. You just want to make sure you get the right stone, I think both versions are out there. If you look here on CKTG, Mark has the original SW listed as “The original Snow White”. Great stone.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:59 pm I think the Naniwa Snow white fits this role very well. It falls in line with the chosera stones well. Just a natural match. But plenty of stones could, theoretically, follow the choera 3k.

PS: Another one to consider is the Naniwa Fuji 8k. Razor guys seem to love it. I have not used this stone though.
+1 for the Snow White.
That is my go to progression after the Chosera 3k. Sometimes I throw in a SR 5k just for the hell if it. But it’s more for fun than actual results I think.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

shevitz wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:31 am The snow white is a great stone. As my sharpening skill progresses I find less need to go to higher grits. A 3K edge well executed and then well stropped will do 3" push cuts. I'm usually stopping at 2K chosera now. I have the 3K chosera, 4k Ume, 5K bamboo, 8K Snow white,.. but no longer really see the need unless you are in it for the fun... :twisted: For stropping, I have gotten away from all the compounds. I got a horse shell barber strop off ebay, brought it back to life with some saddle soap and neatsfoot oil. I guarantee you can get a screaming sharp edge starting from dull/new with Chosera 400, 1K, 2K + horse shell strop.
What was your purchase criteria for buying a used strop off ebay?