Sharpening on a budget. What to get?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Sharpening on a budget. What to get?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi,
I am interested in getting into whetstones and have a question.
As of now we have European knives, however, I hope to make my first Japanese knife purchase yet this year.

In any event, I’d like to start down the whetstone sharpening path, but don’t have the money to afford the CKTG starters kit (6 piece). I’d prefer to start off with this kit but am looking to spend 50 dollars or so right now.

Accordingly, do you recommend I go with a combo stone like the King 800/6,000 or Imanshi 1k/6k or start out with a single stone like the beston 500 or bester 1200?

Not sure what stone or combo would best fit my immediate need but also be part of a good set in the future.

Thanks for your time and recommendation in advance.

Sincerely,
Loren
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Sharpening on a budget. What to get?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Loren,

I recommend you try a combination stone to start. They basically give you 2 grits for the price of 1 and will save you money. I like this one since it comes with a box that acts as a stone holder. Also the low grit side is fast and easy to find a burr which will aid you in learning how to sharpen.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ceco28.html

If you wanted a medium and high grit pair try this model. It will take a little longer to sharpen a knife but the edge will be more refined:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ceraxcombo1k3k.html

Please come back and give us some questions once you try sharpening a few knives. We'll be happy to assist you.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Follow Marks advice. Really cheap stones will not leave you satisfied and make you want to give up. You can't go wrong with either if those 2 choices.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I would start with the 1K/3K Cerax Combo stone. You then can add a low grit and a higher grit later for a very good set. That is all the stone you need for now with German steel also. Just be patient with a very dull knife on the 1k. It will seem like it takes forever to raise a burr the first time but stick with it!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm I would start with the 1K/3K Cerax Combo stone. You then can add a low grit and a higher grit later for a very good set. That is all the stone you need for now with German steel also. Just be patient with a very dull knife on the 1k. It will seem like it takes forever to raise a burr the first time but stick with it!
Great advice so far.

I'll just add this: feeling a sense of accomplishment as a sharpener is REALLY important when you start out. It builds confidence and enthusiasm. Given that you have mostly softer German steel and that it probably needs new bevels, I might go for Mark's first recommendation despite agreeing with Jeff's points more generally. While in the long-term the 1-3k option is definitely better in my opinion too, I think the short-term goals are important enough that starting with the 280-1.5k will serve you better as you get started with your current knives, and this stone will still be super-useful for years to come. The added bonus is that, as you get more excited, the lower-grit stone also give you an excuse to invest more in the critical 1-4k range with a new stone that is ideal for your own needs at a later point...if you have the 1-3k already, that will be harder to justify. :)
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

^^^^^^ +1. I have recently got the Cerax 1k / 3k as part of my "travelling kit" and I really like it. Having said that most of my knives are in very good shape to start with ie reasonably sharp, established bevels, edges etc. So I think that your first stone should be matched to the knives you are going sharpen up front. If your knives are in good shape, the Cerax 1k / 3k would be a good starting point. If on the other hand your knives are pretty dull or in need of new bevels or a bit of work then I think that the Cerax 280 / 1.5k might be less frustrating to start with.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I prefer a combination stone for a starting sharpener on a budget. I lean towards a coarser combination because you get something done quickly. If you are only doing knives with great edges go for a finer combo.

---
Ken
Lorenzetti

Post by Lorenzetti »

Thanks for all the replies!
280/1.5k it is.
One additional question...do I need a flattening place as well? I believe that some suggest flattening right off the bat for trueness and also to remove the harder outer layer from the stone (particularly at the edges).

Is this accurate, and more importantly is this essential for this stone combo?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

salemj wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 pm
Jeff B wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 pm I would start with the 1K/3K Cerax Combo stone. You then can add a low grit and a higher grit later for a very good set. That is all the stone you need for now with German steel also. Just be patient with a very dull knife on the 1k. It will seem like it takes forever to raise a burr the first time but stick with it!
Great advice so far.

I'll just add this: feeling a sense of accomplishment as a sharpener is REALLY important when you start out. It builds confidence and enthusiasm. Given that you have mostly softer German steel and that it probably needs new bevels, I might go for Mark's first recommendation despite agreeing with Jeff's points more generally. While in the long-term the 1-3k option is definitely better in my opinion too, I think the short-term goals are important enough that starting with the 280-1.5k will serve you better as you get started with your current knives, and this stone will still be super-useful for years to come. The added bonus is that, as you get more excited, the lower-grit stone also give you an excuse to invest more in the critical 1-4k range with a new stone that is ideal for your own needs at a later point...if you have the 1-3k already, that will be harder to justify. :)
Yeah there’s nothing worse than trying to sharpen a knife and then testing it with no apparent difference. It’s demoralizing. Once you get over the hump you can always add a finishing stone if you enjoy the hobby like most of us do.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
old onion

Post by old onion »

Lorenzetti wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:08 am Thanks for all the replies!
280/1.5k it is.
One additional question...do I need a flattening place as well? I believe that some suggest flattening right off the bat for trueness and also to remove the harder outer layer from the stone (particularly at the edges).

Yes,you should have a flattening plate cause sooner then later you are going to need it.Here is one that is liked by more then a few on this forum and will not break the bank.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

280/1.5k it is.

These stones are plenty flat to start with. But getting a diamond plate is a good idea since the coarse side of your stone will dish pretty quickly.

Try this one. It’s cheap and we use them daily at our office: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

old onion wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:50 am
280/1.5k it is.

Yes,you should have a flattening plate cause sooner then later you are going to need it.Here is one that is liked by more then a few on this forum and will not break the bank.
Oops you were faster on the draw old onion! :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
old onion

Post by old onion »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:53 am
280/1.5k it is.

Actually,I am pretty slow on the draw at 71 but even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile. ;)
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

old onion wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm
Actually,I am pretty slow on the draw at 71 but even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in awhile. ;)
I think that's suppose to be "finds a nut" but I'm sure he enjoys "getting a nut" too! :P
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 pm
old onion wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:14 pm

I think that's suppose to be "finds a nut" but I'm sure he enjoys "getting a nut" too! :P
Lol,oops,I think this is a case of me," open mouth and serves foot" :oops:
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Your getting some good advice Loren, I really like my Cerax Stones, I have a 1k & a 6k. I may even buy a combo for myself to use when I travel.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Lorenzetti

Post by Lorenzetti »

nakneker wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:54 pm Your getting some good advice Loren, I really like my Cerax Stones, I have a 1k & a 6k. I may even buy a combo for myself to use when I travel.
I really appreciate all the input.
Plan on ordering the combo 280/1.5 + flattening plate this weekend.

Other thought I just had...would it make more sense to wait another few months and get a beston 500 + bester 1.2? Is there a substantial quality improvement with these two over the Cerax combo?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Beston 500 and Bester 1.2 are beginner stones. With the Cerax 280/1.5 you'll have no use for either. You'll probably want to add something in the 3-5k range next. You'll start to figure these things out after you've practiced on a few knives. Keep asking questions as you go and you get a lot of helpful tips.
Lorenzetti

Post by Lorenzetti »

Yes indeed, I was wondering which (the combo or beston beater) would be the best starting point.

Could wait a few months if the 2 stones were significantly better than the cerax combo. If there isn’t much matéria difference, I’ll just get the cerax combo now
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'd get the Cerax.