help me choose (chosra 800 or 1000) so I can stop thinking about it

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
old onion

Re: help me choose (chosra 800 or 1000) so I can stop thinking about it

Post by old onion »

slickmamba wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 2:34 am Actually, if I go that route I’d have to get a stone holder :/
Yep,stone holder would be nice but for a long time I just used a sink bridge that I made out of simple 2x4's and then put a wet Micro Towel on top of it and then sat my stones on it.That worked just fine. The stone was well supported and didn't slip around.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Wet towel works great
Also
If it's a mounted stone you won't be able to flip it over should something happen to the open face of the stone.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Can get a silicon sponge holder from walmart for $4 that will work as a makeshift stone pond. Sometimes if you look in the bathroom department where they keep the towels and such they have these trays for when you empty out your pockets before getting in the shower, no idea what they are called. Anyway they are only a few mil deep and about 9x4 inches and these work as a stone pond too and are also only a few dollars. Silicon baking mats work as a stone mat too. All kinds of cheap ways to keep a stone in place but yeah, a wet flour sack towel would work and they are like fifty cents...

Most stones on bases don't just sit on the counter well while you sharpen anyway. Well at least not on my granite counter top so I still need something under them.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I use a stone holder for the extra height that it gives you, not that you need it. If you do go the stone holder route get the Suehiro Deluxe over the Universal, it's well worth the extra $5.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Yep, I like the suehiro holder better too.
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

Thanks guys! I will get the chosera 800, and a holder. Recommendation on flattening stone?
old onion

Post by old onion »

slickmamba wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:12 pm Thanks guys! I will get the chosera 800, and a holder. Recommendation on flattening stone?
The most highly regarded flattening plate is the Atoma 140 which runs about 82 bucks ,however,some sharpeners are finding happiness with this and for the money,it's hard to go wrong.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html
slickmamba

Post by slickmamba »

Damn I was hoping to spend 20 on a flattening stone, haha. I’m going back to school so rent + tuition is making it hard to buy stuff I want
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

slickmamba wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 9:47 pm Damn I was hoping to spend 20 on a flattening stone, haha. I’m going back to school so rent + tuition is making it hard to buy stuff I want
Imo it is worth saving to get a plate over one of the stone fixers. Throw your change in a jar every night and get a plate when you can. I know the feeling of having to pay tuition and rent! That said, you can get a 3 pack of coarse drywall screen for under $4 at a local hardware/diy store and that should last you quite awhile in the meantime.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I agree with Kit, flattening is a good place to skimp for now if it facilitates a good stone and knife. Drywall screen is fine.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

A good stone and I think you'll be glad you got the holder too before it's over.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.