Mirror polish on hagane

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
AlbuquerqueDan

Re: Mirror polish on hagane

Post by AlbuquerqueDan »

Thanks, Alta! The knife is a Gesshin Ittetsu 180mm White #2 single bevel petty. Very fun knife.
slobound

Post by slobound »

You guys make me want to get fingerstones!
-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

slobound wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm You guys make me want to get fingerstones!
Once you start...... :twisted:
Or in other words, come, Garrick, come to the dark side (which is actually bright, shiny, though sometimes milky, or hazy, or opaque), come!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
slobound

Post by slobound »

Altadan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:34 pm
slobound wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:29 pm You guys make me want to get fingerstones!
Once you start...... :twisted:
Or in other words, come, Garrick, come to the dark side (which is actually bright, shiny, though sometimes milky, or hazy, or opaque), come!
Bwahahahaha!
-- Garrick
slobound

Post by slobound »

I did work on this a couple days ago with my Kitayama and some micro mesh pads. Far from perfect but it was fun to try. Gonna order some flitz to see if it’ll get better.

-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Is that an Okeya?
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
slobound

Post by slobound »

Altadan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:11 pm Is that an Okeya?
Yup, the 150mm petty
-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

slobound wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:37 pm
Yup, the 150mm petty
Oh good job!

I had such a hard time with that one! But a nice lil' slicer! you made her purdy, too
slobound

Post by slobound »

Altadan wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:52 pm
slobound wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:37 pm
Yup, the 150mm petty
Oh good job!

I had such a hard time with that one! But a nice lil' slicer! you made her purdy, too
Thanks! This has been a project knife from the start. I’ve thinned it a couple times and I feel like it’s helped.
-- Garrick
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

looks like you rounded that spine, too?

I had it on Nakneker's passaround. I wouldn't mind owning one, but all my lil' knife-dollars are directed elsewhere at the moment :roll:
slobound

Post by slobound »

Altadan wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 pm looks like you rounded that spine, too?

I had it on Nakneker's passaround. I wouldn't mind owning one, but all my lil' knife-dollars are directed elsewhere at the moment :roll:
Way to be observant. Yes, I rounded the spine and choil. That didn’t take too much effort and made it so much more comfortable to use.

Totally hear ya about the dollars directed elsewhere! 🤣
-- Garrick
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Man, you made that knife look good. I like the flowers too...lol.

Oh, and Dan, you should always have lil' knife funds as they are fun to have around.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 pm Man, you made that knife look good. I like the flowers too...lol.

Oh, and Dan, you should always have lil' knife funds as they are fun to have around.
Well, they just went out walking, and those two jnats came in their stead :lol:
Now I have to put one dollar to another before I can do any more damage :P
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:54 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:57 pm Man, you made that knife look good. I like the flowers too...lol.

I hear you! Stones soak my wallet more often than not...Though I did just get me a nice little Zakuri, which is a lot of knife for what I paid for it. It was bought specifically to test stones but it is too good for that. (I'll still use it as a tester on medium and fine stones after I open it a little better...but no need to eat away at it with the coarse stuff. That is why they make Tojiro's.)
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:36 pm
Altadan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:54 pm

I hear you! Stones soak my wallet more often than not...Though I did just get me a nice little Zakuri, which is a lot of knife for what I paid for it. It was bought specifically to test stones but it is too good for that. (I'll still use it as a tester on medium and fine stones after I open it a little better...but no need to eat away at it with the coarse stuff. That is why they make Tojiro's.)
Speaking of knives for testing stones, I've been meaning to ask you - and this might pertain to this thread also, a little - which knives have a "wide bevel," Kit?
Honestly, sharpening and shining up single bevels is bliss, but their utility in my kitchen is limited.
Could you give a short list of a few known wide-beveled gyutos and\or santokus, so that I might be able to enjoy the whole dance between hagane-jigane on a knive I use more often, too?
Thanks
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Speaking of knives for testing stones, I've been meaning to ask you - and this might pertain to this thread also, a little - which knives have a "wide bevel," Kit?
Honestly, sharpening and shining up single bevels is bliss, but their utility in my kitchen is limited.
Could you give a short list of a few known wide-beveled gyutos and\or santokus, so that I might be able to enjoy the whole dance between hagane-jigane on a knive I use more often, too?
Thanks
I see a lot of debate about what is and is not a wide bevel. However, most often I see it said that a wide bevel is basically a double bevel with a shinogi on both sides. But you can get loads of knives where this is not really the case but still have a tall(ish) bevel that you can polish up just fine, but it may be wavy.

Heji
kagekiyo
Kochi
Some Kono Fuji models
Tesshu (debated by some)
Syousin Sakura
Zakuri
Mizuno (one model that I know of)
and god knows what else.

There are a load of knives out there that are more or less wide bevels with a more rounded transition line rather than a hard shoulder/shinogi. Tanaka KU, Shiro kamo and many more KU knives polish up nicely on the stones without having as defined of a shoulder.

One thing to consider is that with any of these knives you could end up with a degree of concavity that will need worked out in order to polish the stone without using a very muddy stone or finger stones. Also, the cheaper the knife the more likely the blade road will need a good bit of work, usually. My Zakuri is fairly clean but will need a bit more work than I gave it when I opened it up.

I am sure some other guys who have been around this longer will have a better list though!

Btw: This list is based on what I have read so don't take it for granted. I only own or have owned a few of these knives.