Do I still use a steel?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Sanjosedale

Do I still use a steel?

Post by Sanjosedale »

Apologize for the newbie question, just received my first good knife here. I have watched the videos and ordered a stone. To date, I always grab a steel before using my chefs knife (one of the popular german makes). With this new knife, do I no longer use a steel, just regular sharpening?
pecanbery

Re: Do I still use a steel?

Post by pecanbery »

It depends on what steel your new knife is made from and how it is hardened. Most Japanese knives sold here tend to be over 60 HRC, some even exceeding 65 HRC. If you steel these knives like you would a german knife with softer tougher steel then you have a high chance of chipping your blade.

On the other hand, because your knife is so much harder the edge won't roll like a german knife, so steeling isn't necessary before cooking. Some people strop their knife on leather every now and then to maintain the edge for as long as possible without sharpening, you could try doing this instead. You might get better advice if you post the knife you bought.
Sanjosedale

Post by Sanjosedale »

It’s a Kato VG-10 Gyuto 210 mm
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Don't steel.
pecanbery

Post by pecanbery »

Sanjosedale wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:36 pm It’s a Kato VG-10 Gyuto 210 mm
61 HRC is at the upper end for VG-10, I would advise against steeling. You shouldn't find it necessary anyway.
Sanjosedale

Post by Sanjosedale »

Ok, thanks for the advice!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nothing metal and definitely not grooved. A ceramic rod is fine but use with caution and a light touch. Ceramic removes a light amount of steel like a strop would and slightly refreshes the edge. Good technique is need for it to be efficient. A high grit stone is always the best route though to refresh your knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

No steel for harder knives, but what should you use?

You can strop on a higher grit stone like 5k Suehiro rika https://www.chefknivestogo.com/suri50grst.html or get a similar grit splash and go stone or
You can strop with a compound on balsa or leather but

What i found works with harder Japanese knives and German/cheaper knives and easy to use is a ceramic rod:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sharpeningrod.html
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I stopped using a steel a few years ago - my prep area has a felt strop loaded with 1 micron paste - does everything my steel used to do.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I rarely use a steel except for some softer blades. Even then I would use a smoith glass or hsrd steel one. I rarely use a ceramic one either - just too low of a grit for me.

I do have a recent exception. I got a Victorinox pocket knife and a leather sheath with it that came with a tiny ribbed steel. One of my pet peeves are the crappy steak knives in restaurants that always have a big burr along the edge. I touch it up with my mini steel and now my steaks cut much better !

---
Ken
Sanjosedale

Post by Sanjosedale »

After watching the videos here, I got the suggested Shapton 1000 grit glass stone. Just wasn’t sure if I should use anything like a steel for daily use. Sounds like a ceramic rod would be ok, but perhaps not needed. I’ve not yet tried to sharpen, will see how it goes.

Thanks!
HectorFuego

Post by HectorFuego »

I've found a steel does more harm than good on my AS gyuto. Ceramic hone works a little, but stropping on leather is best for maintenance on that steel. When the strop no longer works I go to the stones.

Hector
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I’ll agree that stropping is better, but if more harm than good is happening pay careful attention to your angles and use little to no pressure. A ceramic steel is simply another form of abrasive, the round surface can give the perfect angle a small margin for error, but it still can produce decent results in a pinch, even on AS.
Mojogyuto

Post by Mojogyuto »

This is a very good topic. I was just thinking about this the other day, because I haven’t really used a steel on my knives in years. Actually I’ve never used a steel on any of my personal knives ever. Just stones and strops. Because growing up working in restaurants I used their knives and the steel available in the kitchen. But that was way before I became a knife fiend. But I actually used a steel on my Takeda and it gave me back a good toothy working edge. So I think I want one now. Along with some light and nifty shapton glass stones lol! So that I can keep my naniwas at home.
Runner_up

Post by Runner_up »

I use a ceramic steel sparingly at work. It's good for touching up an edge between jobs quickly. At home I use a strop only.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

I only use a steel on the few German blades I have lying around.

I find stropping much more precise yet at the same time more forgiving. True, I have the loaded strops with nano cloth and balsa and what have you. But even when I travel. All you neeed is an old pair of jeans, the back of a leather belt or even a brown paper bag to true up your edge.

Anyway, on the OP's Kato? Don't use a steel. Use a ceramic rod if you wish. Strop away when you will....