Advice for first Jnat...

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Jason H

Advice for first Jnat...

Post by Jason H »

Looking for advice from the pro's here.

Here is my criteria and parameters:

1) Used generally for Euro stainless and American carbon.
2) Never owned a Jnat
3) I'm beginner/proficient with Atoma 140, Cerax, Kohetsu, Shapton, and Chosera stones.
4) 1-3k grit
5) Pragmatic.
6) Where to purchase?
7) Prefer slow to dish
8) Overwhelmed reading about Jnat choices. LOL

Thank you!
J
dAviD

Re: Advice for first Jnat...

Post by dAviD »

Look for Ken's information on here and he'd be the best person to contact about buying a stone. I was in the same boat and after talking with him he was able to get me two excellent stones at a great price. He has a ton of different options too.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

dAviD wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:23 am Look for Ken's information on here and he'd be the best person to contact about buying a stone. I was in the same boat and after talking with him he was able to get me two excellent stones at a great price. He has a ton of different options too.
Yep. Second that. Ken is a joy to work with.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Yep,don't worry about calling Ken and shooting the bull over stones.Heck,he was in the middle of grocery shopping when I called and I think he just jumped in the grocery cart,crossed his legs and we began to talk for quite awhile.You will learn plenty.Ken is fixing me up with a natural.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I agree with calling Ken. That said, there are loads of stones in your 1-3k range. Maybe even push it to 2-4k with a J-nat. For whatever reason you seem to retain that bite as you go up in finesse with nats like you don't with synthetics. Maybe still overkill for softer stainless but the edge will be nice while it lasts--lol.

Not too hard, not too soft, doesn't dish, is fast, works great on stainless and is in the 1-3k range that is for double narrow bevels? For me that is an Igarashi/ikarashi. Not the only good stone in that range but I like that one, a lot, for the purpose you listed. I like my Aono and Mozen-to, also in this range if a little finer, but they are much softer and do dish more noticeably. Iyo and Tajima are quite nice as well but again, more at the top end, more costly and not as easy to source. A good example of a Binsui is at the lower end at aroud 1200-1500 and can be slow if you don't first raise a slurry with a nagura/plate unless you get a somewhat softer one.

Like I said, loads of stones. But for stainless double bevels and softer carbon I like my Ikarashi. Calling Ken is still the way to go though! Then call him again, and again. :D