Applying pressure only on backwards strokes

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
havugla

Applying pressure only on backwards strokes

Post by havugla »

Hello
According to Burrfection's youtube channel, you should only apply pressure on the backstroke when sharpening the left side of the knife. How important is that. I personally often applies pressure on both back and forward strokes.
ken123

Re: Applying pressure only on backwards strokes

Post by ken123 »

Softer stones require more care on edge leading strokes so you don't cut the stone. Otherwise I would generally ignore this admonition. I'm sure I'll respond later in more detail to this

---
Ken
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

If it works for burrfection, it’s important for burrfection. It doesn’t work for me, it’s not important for me. Think of the act sharpening as an art form, certain styles and techniques work for certain artists; however, there is no wrong way for an artist to create art. Trying other sharpeners strategies is an important part of the learning process; however, none of the rules are absolute.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I almost always apply pressure only on the edge trailing stroke.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Coming from an EdgePro background I'm really comfortable with edge leading strokes, so I apply pressure in both directions. On thinking about it I probably apply slightly more pressure edge leading.

As you can see from the variety of responses, it comes down to peoples' preference & comfort levels. One of the things that I like about this forum, & knives in general, is that there seems to be no one right answer and it gives me different approaches to try & explore.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I learned from a guy in Japan who did this on single bevel knives. I use both forward and back on my knives (check out Hiro Terada - he does the same as I do, but he's a master sushi chef from Japan). Guy doing sharpening demos at Korin also used both strokes - he was from masamoto. Last strokes yes, most of the work is back and forth for me.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I use pressure only on the trailing stroke, or rather mostly and with caveats often times that are only relative to the types of knives talked about here. I still have my fingers on the blade for the leading stroke so some pressure exists. However, this is mostly with J-knives and knives with little belly in particular and beyond that very simple steel with zero to very little alloying. Sometimes I find that removing a burr, for example, is easier on a leading stroke with some steel (normally stainless or some PM I use in outdoor knives) or simply that the blade shape lends itself to leading sweeps rather than scrubbing or trailing only etc. Really, for me, it depends on a number of factors.

Never take any information for granted just because it was said by someone on youtube, on some internet forum or even by your grandfather. Test the waters and see what works for you. What works for me may not be the best example of what works for others and vice versa.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I use pressure in both directions and do just fine. Some people use stropping strokes when finishing up on a stone, some edge leading strokes when finishing up on a stone. There are no absolutes in sharpening, do what works best for you.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I'm like Jeff. Pressure both ways. At the end of each progression, using Peter's pressure method, I go trailing stroke only.
Thuja Magus

Post by Thuja Magus »

On single bevel knives they recommend pressure on the trailing stroke when doing the bevel side and pressure on the leading strokes while doing the ura to help deburr.

For double bevel it is not as crucial. On softer stones it can help to avoid gouging.

Some believe only applying pressure in one direction will help the “flatness” on the bevel and yield a more precise edge. I’m not sure...
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

There’s no wrong answer. Experiment and let your results inform your technique. For me I use more pressure on low grit stones and I use pretty consistent pressure both forward and back. On finishing stones I tend to go light and I also often use edge trailing strokes on them to finish the edge before stropping a few times on leather.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Something happened several years ago that changed my sharpening life. I stopped trying to mimic other people’s methods, I stopped believing everything I read and I learned to focus on one technique. I found something that worked, then went to town on it. I was able to focus on my sharpening rather than wondering if I was doing it just like Murray Carter or some other sharpener I was following at that time.
Knife sharpening falls under two broad categories: Burr Formation and Burr Removal, so if your actions, your particular technique is moving towards achieving those goals then it works. If someone ever told me that “I need” to sharpen in a particular way than those would words would be ignored.
Building confidence is a goal to strive for, it sure turned my game around.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am Something happened several years ago that changed my sharpening life. I stopped trying to mimic other people’s methods, I stopped believing everything I read and I learned to focus on one technique. I found something that worked, then went to town on it. I was able to focus on my sharpening rather than wondering if I was doing it just like Murray Carter or some other sharpener I was following at that time.
Knife sharpening falls under two broad categories: Burr Formation and Burr Removal, so if your actions, your particular technique is moving towards achieving those goals then it works. If someone ever told me that “I need” to sharpen in a particular way than those would words would be ignored.
Great advice as always Peter!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Organic

Post by Organic »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 am Something happened several years ago that changed my sharpening life. I stopped trying to mimic other people’s methods, I stopped believing everything I read and I learned to focus on one technique. I found something that worked, then went to town on it. I was able to focus on my sharpening rather than wondering if I was doing it just like Murray Carter or some other sharpener I was following at that time.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. It is too easy to get caught up in the minutia of 'proper' technique and forget that the only important goal is getting the blade as sharp as you want it in a way that you can rely upon. If it works (and it doesn't damage the blade), then it is a valid method.