Ken Schwartz Poly Diamond 1 micron and Nano Cloth

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Chefcallari

Ken Schwartz Poly Diamond 1 micron and Nano Cloth

Post by Chefcallari »

Hey guys...

So i know ive been kinda MIA for a while and i apologize for not being active. The restaurant had been hella busy and im going through some (for me) serious life changes. So again my apologies guys.

Now.... The buisness at hand.

I recently aquired some 1 micron poly diamond compound and nano cloth strops from Mr. Ken Schwartz.
And i feel the need to post about the very unique products.

I also have some CBN 1 micron and will review it as well

Ive used a few different strop compounds over the years .... All with varying results.
I prefer diamond compounds because i sharpen alot of high carbide steels and CBN and diamond are basically required for these steels( s110v, s90v,Maxamet ect)
But i also noticed a difference in performances with low carbide steels as well (n690,vg10,blue 2,1095 ect)

Now i wont bash other products..... But i will explain to you why Schwartz products are really levels above everything else ive tried, and why they are more than worth the (sometimes slight) increased price tag.

The very first thing i noticed was something that may seem small but means alot to me..... Drying time lol
With other pastes and sprays it takes hours... Even days (pastes) to fully dry. Having to wait or plan when to load a strop gets annoying... These compounds dry in minutes. Completely dry and ready to make sweet sweet love to your edges in minutes!

The second property i noticed is consistency/honesty(?)
When i first started stropping my knives i didnt see the large amounts of metal coming off onto my strop... "Is it not cutting?" I thought? .... My fears were quickly dissipated the second i felt the edge... Wow... Refinement and bite!...
So the conclusion ive drawn from this is that Schwartz 1 micron ... Is ACTUALLY 1 micron! I wasn't seeing alot of swarf because it was so fine .. Like actually 1 micron. The "other" 1 micron must be much much coarser... Thus all the heavy metal swarf. The edges that were coming off the strop had MORE bite than the "other" compound while being FAR more refined!.... Almost doesn't make sense lol

Then looking at the edges with a loupe... The scratch patterns left by the Schwartz compound were literally identical... While the "other" compound left not only much larger scratches but they would have random extra large scratches randomly... Indicating inconsistent sizing of the diamond.

Zdp 189, HAP40,M4 and Maxamet..... All cut no problem... Like it cuts them all and laughs

Now product life... Ive stropped 7 knives... Heavily...even one knife from heavily used to hair shaving sharp... And have seen ABSOLUTELY ZERO decrease in performance!
Like no slow down.... At all.... Even a little bit lol

Then the nano cloth.... Its like a super pure velvet awesomeness.
Lol thats the only way i can describe it. It holds compound like you cant believe ... And makes the compound shine! Ive used the compound on bass wood as well and the nano truly is superior... But you could put the Schwarz compound on a car bumper and it would blow you away lol

This is gonna be a ongoing thread where im gonna keep reviewing and posting pics of different edges/finishes.

But ive seen some discussion on different compounds and how that stack uo to one another and i wanted to just let you guys know how high grade kens products are. And how taken back by them i am.... If your a sharpening nerd like me its like going from a Honda civic to a bugotti!

See you soon guys!
ken123

Re: Ken Schwartz Poly Diamond 1 micron and Nano Cloth

Post by ken123 »

post moved here as per user request.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

N690 steel... It's almost an analog for vg10.
DMT XXF , KITYYAMA 8K then Ken Schwartz 1 micron CBN on nano cloth...

Stray hairs BEWARE!
Last edited by Chefcallari on Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Oh... And did i mention coverage??

Ive COMPLETELY loaded a 3x8 nano cloth strop of each CBN and poly diamond and barely made a dent in the bottles lol

I can load a 3x8 balsa strop with 4 DROPS of either compound.

Yea..... Just sayin