Strop Blocks

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ryanbs

Strop Blocks

Post by ryanbs »

Greetings,

To compliment the Kohetsu 800/2K combo, I'd like to add a strop block. I imagine a thicker strop block would give me better clearance from the counter or sink bridge and save my knuckles. When I look on amazon and ebay (where I have credits to burn without fear of my wife's wrath), I see a few different options that I like, but they leather seems to be mounted on soft wood opposed to hard wood. Is this something to be avoided, or will they function all the same? Would you recommend and of the following possibilities below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748 ... UY99&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-BENCH- ... Desc=0%7C0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Strop- ... 0005.m1851
datster

Re: Strop Blocks

Post by datster »

I'm a big fan of the 4pc Richmond Strop Kit that Mark sells. It is very versatile, you can add to it as you go. I have added felt, nanocloth and other stropping materials like denim. It is magnetic, you can get PSA magnetic backing and make your own strops to put on the base.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

One of the problems you face with your choices is that you have multiple stropping surfaces. This almost guarantees that you will cross-contaminate one surface with the next surface's compounds AND also dirty the surfaces laying them against countertops etc. Inherently inferior. The various wood surfaces are not ideal - glass is far more precise as a backing. The leather in those strops are also not ideal. I would suggest nanocloth or kangaroo leather for far better results.

In terms of clearance for your knuckles, mount the strop on a base. Mark's base mentioned in datstar's post is excellent and works for various sizes - 3x8, 3x11, etc. Various stoneholders will also give you clearance but Mark's (CKTG) setup is near ideal.

---
Ken
ryanbs

Post by ryanbs »

ken123 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:20 pm One of the problems you face with your choices is that you have multiple stropping surfaces. This almost guarantees that you will cross-contaminate one surface with the next surface's compounds AND also dirty the surfaces laying them against countertops etc. Inherently inferior. The various wood surfaces are not ideal - glass is far more precise as a backing. The leather in those strops are also not ideal. I would suggest nanocloth or kangaroo leather for far better results.

In terms of clearance for your knuckles, mount the strop on a base. Mark's base mentioned in datstar's post is excellent and works for various sizes - 3x8, 3x11, etc. Various stoneholders will also give you clearance but Mark's (CKTG) setup is near ideal.

---
Ken
Thanks Ken. I don't foresee the strop being loaded with compound, just plain leather. Also like the idea of having a smooth and rough surface available. Also, I'm regulated to paying with my amazon points or ebay credit, which is why I gravitated towards those blocks.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I think the block would be fine.It's pretty much what I started off with and used for a very long time.Just go soft and light on your stropping as the soft leather can roll up over your edge and rounding it, doing more harm then good. I used the green compound on the rough hide and nothing on the smooth side.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ryanbs wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm Also, I'm regulated to paying with my amazon points or ebay credit, which is why I gravitated towards those blocks.
---
You know Mark accepts Amazon payment.

ken123

Post by ken123 »

didn't know that! That's cool!

---
Ken
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

gladius wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:57 pm
ryanbs wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:47 pm Also, I'm regulated to paying with my amazon points or ebay credit, which is why I gravitated towards those blocks.
---
You know Mark accepts Amazon payment.

+1
Epcwks

Post by Epcwks »

Definitely go for the block with magnetic base and buy a couple metal backed strops. I have one sprayed with diamond paste and on there with jewelers rouge for my razor.
Best of luck,
E
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

+1 for a metal base like Mark sells. Then get as many different magnetic backed strops as you need. I use a flattening plate in a stone holder to the same effect. Those blocks on Amazon don't inspire me at all.