New stone set

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
raleighcook15

New stone set

Post by raleighcook15 »

Im looking to get into free hand sharpening again. Can someone help me build a set of stones to achieve a very keen edge. I was debating just buying the shapton glass set 500-1000-4000-8000 but maybe mixing and matching is a better option. Looking to keep it under 300 and have them for a long time.

Steels I'll need to sharpen
White 2
As
Hd
Blue 1

Thank you.
ButlerHoosierChef

Re: New stone set

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

I would say Shapton glass 500 and 1000. Then get the green brick instead of a 4k. It will give an edge up to about 3k -4k depending on the steel. Arashiyama for the 6k and Snow White for the 8k. Then a hard felt bur block and also a strop. That is what I use and I get great results across the spectrum White 2 Blue 1 Blue 2 AS R2/SG2 HD2 HAP40 W2 tool steel VG10. So hope this helps.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

SG stones are great stones and do a good job on a variety of steels. They are also true splash and go stones and load up very little while providing very good feedback. No presoak is needed. You can’t go wrong. I use my SG 500 all the time. One line up,of stones I use is Sg 500, Sp 1000, Chosera 3000, Cerax 6k, it works on a variety of steels, atleast for me. I also have the SG stones in 320, 500, 1k, 3k and 6k. I use that line up often when I need to sharpen AS, R2 or VG10. One of their best features is compactness, I don’t think any other stone stores as well as Shapton Glass stones.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

I love the SG500. Its fast, it dishes slowly, and it takes a lot to load it up. And, it doesn't feel half bad. I'd spend the money on the double thick version of it, and skip the 8000, for now, if your budget demands it. 4k is still a pretty good working edge, and I'd rather have 3 stones that I love and save up for a fourth, than start, immediately, with four subpar stones.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I'd suggest getting a Cerax set with an Atoma plate and you are good for many years and all within budget. These are soaking stones (but don't require too long) and provide good feed back which is important when learning. They are very fast cutters too that cut most steel well (including PM) and produce fantastic edges. You may also want to include a Suehiro Deluxe stone holder and pond.

Cerax 320 $65.00
Cerax 1000 $45.00
Cerax 6000 $80.00
Atoma 140 $83.00
stone holder $35.00
pond $14.00
------
$322.00

For a splash-n-go option the Debado stones are a good choice in those grits, cost ~$50 more but are even larger stones so a good value.
raleighcook15

Post by raleighcook15 »

Excuse the newb question but what is it when a stone loads up and how do you fix that?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Loading is basically tiny black metal particles that embed into the pores of the stone and plug it up. You can see it turn black and the knife edge will start to skate across the stone.

Fixing it is easy. You simply lap the stone until it looks flat and clean.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

gladius wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:08 am I'd suggest getting a Cerax set with an Atoma plate and you are good for many years and all within budget. These are soaking stones (but don't require too long) and provide good feed back which is important when learning. They are very fast cutters too that cut most steel well (including PM) and produce fantastic edges. You may also want to include a Suehiro Deluxe stone holder and pond.

Cerax 320 $65.00
Cerax 1000 $45.00
Cerax 6000 $80.00
Atoma 140 $83.00
stone holder $35.00
pond $14.00
------
$322.00

For a splash-n-go option the Debado stones are a good choice in those grits, cost ~$50 more but are even larger stones so a good value.
Something I read elsewhere was that if your stones are permasoakers leaving them in your toilet tank which is a great idea. Also you could shave $50 by using the cktg flattening plate instead of the atoma.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Seattle_Ben wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:47 pm Something I read elsewhere was that if your stones are permasoakers leaving them in your toilet tank which is a great idea. Also you could shave $50 by using the cktg flattening plate instead of the atoma.
---
I don't permasoak the Cerax stones, ten to fifteen minutes soak is sufficient.

The CKTG plate works well but the Atoma is better. That kit is all top quality gear.
Thuja Magus

Post by Thuja Magus »

The cerax set will feel better and will leave a better finish on wide bevels and cladding.

You could switch the 6k for the Rika 5k too.

The holder and pond is not a necessity if you build a wooden sink bridge.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thuja Magus wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:17 pm The cerax set will feel better and will leave a better finish on wide bevels and cladding.

You could switch the 6k for the Rika 5k too.

The holder and pond is not a necessity if you build a wooden sink bridge.
I think the Rika 5k would be a better finisher for the average kitchen knife and an easier jump from the 1k.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Yes,yes,yes" Rika 5k ". Trial and error have only taught me that I should have just stayed with the Rika,my first finishing stone, and saved my money on finishing stones.So now I am back to just finishing on Rika more and more.
Before I had a stone holder,I just kept my stone on a wet micro towel draped over a short 2x4 length of wood to keep the stone elevated.That worked so well that I measured out a length of 2x4 to reach across my kitchen sink with a couple short cross boards to hold it in place and I had a good sink bridge.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

old onion wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 am
Before I had a stone holder,I just kept my stone on a wet micro towel draped over a short 2x4 length of wood to keep the stone elevated.That worked so well that I measured out a length of 2x4 to reach across my kitchen sink with a couple short cross boards to hold it in place and I had a good sink bridge.
I really like that idea. Think I'll try it out.. I'll send you a photo when the deed is done. Thanks for the idea!)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
old onion

Post by old onion »

Altadan wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:44 pm
old onion wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 am
I really like that idea. Think I'll try it out.. I'll send you a photo when the deed is done. Thanks for the idea!)
I made several of the sink bridges.One to go across my sink and another one to fit over my sharpening basin of water that I keep out in my little log cabin by the pond for when I want seclusion and listen to my waterfalls while I sharpen.