Are you an edge trailer or edge leading person?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
salemj

Re: Are you an edge trailer or edge leading person?

Post by salemj »

I loved the pictures above and they make sense based on a few other things I've come across, but as Gladius himself points out, there are a number of variables.

One thing I haven't checked on is angle + steel. I'm not sure how often this is treated as a "variable" (i.e., that studies like the images above are done on several different steel types at different angles). What I DO know, at least to some degree, is that the fatigue point for different steel at different angles "should" be different, so my hypothesis would be that using trailing strokes at a steeper angle with a harder steel with FEWER strokes might actually result in an edge at least as clean as edge-leading strokes. What I mean is, at a steeper angle and with a harder steel, you are less likely to get as much stretch at the apex, and more likely to get actual breakage, even with edge-trailing strokes.

This is an important part of the equation, not least because many people strop beyond the apex, meaning they would be using edge-trailing strokes on more brittle steel at a steeper angle. Thus, in real-life applications, without a jig, and especially on softer stropping mediums, it is entirely possible that edge training finishing strokes produces at least as good or better of an edge even under a microscope. Let's not forget that some of those images from other websites dealing with microscopes strop on leather using 30 to 60 strokes per side! When I strop to finish or touch up a blade, it is usually 4-6 strokes per side, which would produce WAY LESS of that rough overhang...the same would be true for stones: "over-sharpening" on a precise jig with a coarse stone using trailing strokes will look a lot different than sharpening to the point of forming the apex but not continuing, because the precise angle on a slightly softer steel would continue to stretch the metal but not break the burr even after the apex is formed.

This is not to be contrarian, but just to elaborate on the "variables." I continue to experiment with both types of strokes and I find advantages for both on different days and mediums.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Unsharp

Post by Unsharp »

Edge leading pushing strokes (switch hands). I keep contact in both directions but apply pressure with edge leading strokes.
Seattle_Ben

Post by Seattle_Ben »

I originally posted this because as I started I was leading edge only and found it intensely frustrating. Fast forward to having found Peter Nowlan's videos I flipped to trailing only and immediately found immense pleasure in sharpening. Forward some more in time and I now have found myself doing edge leading strokes. It's been stated before more than I can think but for something so seemingly simple there's a shocking depth of variance.
samuraistuart

Post by samuraistuart »

When establishing the overall edge geometry/bevel, scrubbing strokes. For setting the apex, edge leading 95% of the time, as I find the apex is best set on a hard stone. If I am setting the apex on a soft stone (like the Green Brick of Joy), edge trailing.