Advice for first time jnat user...

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Jason H

Advice for first time jnat user...

Post by Jason H »

Hello All,

I just obtained my first jnat, an Aoto from CKTG. It didn't take me long to come up with a host of questions and I am hoping for a bit of guidance.

1) Can anyone recommend any books or sites to read geared to jnat beginners so that I don't have to ask so many questions on this forum?

2) Coming from synthetic stones, I am sensing that there is a difference in grit rating. This aoto has been called "about a 1000 grit" but I perceive it to be more coarse than my Kohetsu 800. This Aoto makes my Chosera 1000 feel like a 2000.

3) I need help to understand the "mud" and how to use it. This stone quickly creates a thick paste and I I need to learn to know how to manage it. Seems that I need to be much more careful to scratch up the entire knife.

4) It is flat but I took my Atoma 140 to it so I can learn how it reacts. This plate quickly got stuck in a pile of mud and looked nothing like the videos I have watched. No flattening occurred. LOL.

5) I sealed it with lacquer per all I have read here. I am not a scientist, and I can't quite understand how this helps. Wouldn't keeping all the water in the stone increase deterioration?

I have a lot to learn and appreciate all the help I have been given here. I really appreciate being in a position of knowing nothing and still being treated respectfully.

And just so you pros can have a laugh I'll share my first time on the Aoto. It came in the mail and I couldn't wait to try out. (I have been accused by my wife of learning the hard way by doing and not reading the instructions). I put some water on it and pulled out an old unstamped American carbon blade that I keep honed on SG4k. I ran it over the stones and both sides to see what kind of scratch pattern it left. It did feel a bit rough but I kept going. After a few minutes, I looked at the edge under my 20x loupe and found that I had completely blown the edge apart and it was full of chips that looked like I hacked up 20 pounds of ice.

That being said, I find the entire process process very interesting and will surely not give up.
nevrknow

Re: Advice for first time jnat user...

Post by nevrknow »

You are at the right place. We are all here to help so ask away. Plus search on here, there are TONS of answers in the forum. :)

Grit rating in jnats seem to be more of an opinion to me. One number to you may "feel" act different to someone else so I use them as a guideline. Example, I had an ozuko asagi ( I think it was ) that was super hard and fine. So hard and fine that I found absolutely no joy in using it whatsoever. I sold it to a member here who wrote me back and said it gave his straight razor the best edge he had ever shaved with and he loves it. See what I mean? Some stones seem to "fit" what people want and others don't. So don't be afraid to experiment.

The mud thing also begs experimentation. Find what works for YOU. Yes use the advice as a guideline but everyone sharpens slightly differently. Pressure, angle, mindset. Like you said in your last comment " Pulled out an old unstamped American carbon blade" that was a smart move. Try stones on a "throw away" blade to get a feel for them. ( At least I do )

Did you lap it under running water? Even then some muddy stones require rinsing off faster than some do.

The way I understand it, lacquer acts as a binder for the sides to help hold a stone together. I have lacquered some and not others and have not noticed any difference. YET. But then again you do know not to soak a Jnat right? ( And some/alot of synthetics also)

By all means search this forum and add questions if you don't find what you are looking for.

Tons of great people here more than willing to help guide you and answer questions.

EDIT: I too obtained one of those aotos and it does take a while to flatten , as will any "in the rough" stone. Don't give up just give it time. I actually flattened 2 sides and after got a clearer picture of it dry decided to flatten a 3rd side which, to me, seems like the best side to sharpen on. IE, I run out of the "skin" quicker and leaves me coming down on some small cracks instead of always being on top of them.
gladius

Post by gladius »

After a few minutes, I looked at the edge under my 20x loupe and found that I had completely blown the edge apart and it was full of chips that looked like I hacked up 20 pounds of ice.
This batch is rough and mine has several lines with sand like inclusion on every surface.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

I just took mine down on that 3rd side. Took about 1/4" but I did hit pure aoto. LOOKS to be ok except for about 1/8" on the sides which should come out fine as it goes down. But then again this one is for my "not so great knives". :)

Saving my pure aoto for my better knives. :)
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jason H wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 pm Hello All,

I just obtained my first jnat, an Aoto from CKTG. It didn't take me long to come up with a host of questions and I am hoping for a bit of guidance.

1) Can anyone recommend any books or sites to read geared to jnat beginners so that I don't have to ask so many questions on this forum?

2) Coming from synthetic stones, I am sensing that there is a difference in grit rating. This aoto has been called "about a 1000 grit" but I perceive it to be more coarse than my Kohetsu 800. This Aoto makes my Chosera 1000 feel like a 2000.

3) I need help to understand the "mud" and how to use it. This stone quickly creates a thick paste and I I need to learn to know how to manage it. Seems that I need to be much more careful to scratch up the entire knife.

4) It is flat but I took my Atoma 140 to it so I can learn how it reacts. This plate quickly got stuck in a pile of mud and looked nothing like the videos I have watched. No flattening occurred. LOL.

5) I sealed it with lacquer per all I have read here. I am not a scientist, and I can't quite understand how this helps. Wouldn't keeping all the water in the stone increase deterioration?

I have a lot to learn and appreciate all the help I have been given here. I really appreciate being in a position of knowing nothing and still being treated respectfully.

And just so you pros can have a laugh I'll share my first time on the Aoto. It came in the mail and I couldn't wait to try out. (I have been accused by my wife of learning the hard way by doing and not reading the instructions). I put some water on it and pulled out an old unstamped American carbon blade that I keep honed on SG4k. I ran it over the stones and both sides to see what kind of scratch pattern it left. It did feel a bit rough but I kept going. After a few minutes, I looked at the edge under my 20x loupe and found that I had completely blown the edge apart and it was full of chips that looked like I hacked up 20 pounds of ice.

That being said, I find the entire process process very interesting and will surely not give up.
To answer a couple of your questions.

Mud is just the stone devolving. It tends to help cut the steel.

Flatten your stone under running water (I put the stone in one hand and the plate in the other and rub them together) That will keep it from sticking.

Don’t bother with lacquer. These are cheap stones and you’ll wear it out faster than it will fall apart.

Do not perma soak your naturals.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Thanks all for the feedback. I do know not to permasoak and while the lacquer may not be necessary it sure makes it look nice. And yes, running water while lapping it solved the problem.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Jason, I was too late to pick up on the CKTG Aoto but it got my interest up so I got one from Ken and so far it does seem like a 1K stone (more or less depending on pressure and mud). I started with trailing strokes and was surprised at the burr formation that happened so quickly. I'm varying the applied pressure to see how much difference it makes on the edge. I'm like you trying to find more information on JNS's.