Convex edge advice

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
im_out

Convex edge advice

Post by im_out »

This is my first post, I have my first convex edged gyuto and looking for help to sharpen and polish it as it's dull at the moment and scratched on the blade face

I've searched through forums and youtube, but I'm still not sure. Do I sharpen before polishing or vice versa?

Cheers, :D :D
J david

Re: Convex edge advice

Post by J david »

Thin, polish, then sharpen. If you convex all the way to the edge, you can accomplish both sharpening and polishing at the same time, but its difficult to get a lasting edge this way and a microbevel is often necessary.
ken123

Re: Convex edge advice

Post by ken123 »

As already stated first you need to shape the edge with coarser gtits, then refine it. The coarser grits will not leave a polished edge. Finer grits will. Convex edges are basically more rounded than flat edges but still require precision for sharpness. You will see strong opinions on this topic. For kitchen knives it is not a critical distinction. Ill avoid details on the topic for now. You can achieve excellent convex edges using either stones or strops.

Welcome to the forum!

---
Ken