Rusty Knife project.

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: Rusty Knife project.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Here is the after.

Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 pm How did he store it? and how long was it in there. I've been away from my knives for what will be a month in a half. I oiled most of them but I may have missed a couple. Im curious how long it takes. Obviously it depends on the conditions. Mine is in an air conditioned house. They should be fine. BUt im still curious what he did.
From what I understand it was used once and dried thoroughly, then stored in a felt lined plastic guard.. Rusted where the felt came in contact with the blade.
I'm thinking the felt could have had some moisture absorbed in it... Maybe a humid summer.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

STPepper9 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:01 am
Cutuu wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:11 pm How did he store it? and how long was it in there. I've been away from my knives for what will be a month in a half. I oiled most of them but I may have missed a couple. Im curious how long it takes. Obviously it depends on the conditions. Mine is in an air conditioned house. They should be fine. BUt im still curious what he did.
From what I understand it was used once and dried thoroughly, then stored in a felt lined plastic guard.. Rusted where the felt came in contact with the blade.
I'm thinking the felt could have had some moisture absorbed in it... Maybe a humid summer.
Makes sense. He may have had a little moisture on the knife when he stored it too. Its easy to miss.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Speaking of rusty projects... this chunk is steel was found in a pond. It is ridiculously heavy but fun to clean it up, it was so rusted I had to have it sandblasted.

n64bomb

Post by n64bomb »

Has anyone tried vinegar?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jason H wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:34 pm Speaking of rusty projects... this chunk is steel was found in a pond. It is ridiculously heavy but fun to clean it up, it was so rusted I had to have it sandblasted.

Looks like a murder weapon
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Gangs of New York style
Dkroe3

Post by Dkroe3 »

Ever soak them in vinegar or coffee?
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

Regarding buffers.....

"Know thyself"

"Respect the tool"

I used to use 2x48" belt grinder on knives, edge leading.

I also used 10" buffing wheels, loaded with compound, for same knives.

I never forget the time I was buffing out my BRK Golok! I'm don't remember exactly what happened; but the buffer tried to take it away from me. Having a 10" blade swing down past your knee caps at a bazillion miles per hour, will inspire a quick coffee break. Amazingly; I didn't lose grip of the handle. But I DID take a break, thank God, and collected my thoughts, before going back and finishing the job.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Horizonson wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 am Regarding buffers.....

"Know thyself"

"Respect the tool"

I never forget the time I was buffing out my BRK Golok! I'm don't remember exactly what happened; but the buffer tried to take it away from me. Having a 10" blade swing down past your knee caps at a bazillion miles per hour, will inspire a quick coffee break. Amazingly; I didn't lose grip of the handle. But I DID take a break, thank God, and collected my thoughts, before going back and finishing the job.
Buffers can be quite dangerous - and useful. I learned this the hard way AND consider myself skilled. 6 tendons and an artery. Pretty well healed now. They deserve your full respect. I now have some very serious boots and pants. Consider 8" or even 6" buffs next time - less feet per second and less dangerous:)

Have plenty of clearance for dealing with large blades like Goloks.

---
Ken
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

I started using a foot-stop, screwed to the floor, shortly after that incident.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Horizonson wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 am Regarding buffers.....

"Know thyself"

"Respect the tool"

Have we seen examples of your work?

Thanks
B
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

Ben...

Back story: Several years ago, I moved back in with my parents, to pay off a huge debt and recover from a failed marriage. They had moved onto a small piece of property that they rented (still there), attached to 70 acres. Things needed fixing and sharpening. So I accumulated some tools and resources. I reprofiled and sharpened anything and everything that needed it. From new knives to old lawn mower blades 😁

Then I started doing it for the neighbors. Then as well for some local friends, acquaintances and businesses.

It never really amounted to much more than a fun hobby.

All those tools and resources are still there, on the property. But I now live in a small apartment, 40 miles away. One day; I'll have them back with me 😁
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

If not this exact model; my belt grinder looks near exactly like this one:

2e13d0f6aa4c47912492d0b2bd7daabd.jpg

I removed a few pieces, and made some minor modifications to it.

It can use 1" or 2" belts. The armature can be adjusted to one's liking.

The 6" disc was not used very often, by me. But was extremely handed when needed.
Energizerbunny

Post by Energizerbunny »

I have a similar situation wanting to add corrosion resistance to my tekeda classic.
From all the research I've done rust bluing is the way to go.
Doesn't involve any nasty chemicals or special equipment.
Just force the knife to rust then boil it in distilled water.
The rust will change from red to black then buff with steelwool and repeat the process until you are happy with color and coverage.
From what I've read this form of "bluing" is the longest lasting and most corrosion resistant.

Have not tried it yet I just bought the knife and want to see how reactive it is at work.