Kasumi question/s?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Seattle_Ben

Kasumi question/s?

Post by Seattle_Ben »

Let me see if I've got this right or not totally wrong.

Using a wide bevel knife, (Makoto) one would lay the entire bevel to a low to mid grit stone and start polishing with about 2# of pressure?

Move along whatever stone progression you're in ownership of and reduce pressure as you go along removing the scratch patterns.

If you own multiple naturals some feel that the proper route is to do a full progression with synthetic then go back to naturals but this appears to not be canonical?

Thank you.
metamorpheus

Re: Kasumi question/s?

Post by metamorpheus »

Coarse synths are used for shinogi flattening. Most knives are finished with rotary tools that leave the bevel uneven, so the bevel wont sit flat on the stone to take that kasumi finish throughout. It would take a crazy amount of time to start on naturals. The scratches made by jnats tend to be less deep because the abrasive isnt as hard. Its best to reduce the scratches as small as you have the patience for using synths to reduce wear on your jnats and sanity. Kasumi finishes have a way of highlighting imperfections and you will definitely notice coarser synth scratches. The fog will look really spotty.
Read this
http://www.japan-tool.com/hamono/Knife_ ... shing.html
I can only aspire to be as good as this guy. His Mizukihara fimish in pt 1 is amazing.