How do you store your stones?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
arthurfowler

Re: How do you store your stones?

Post by arthurfowler »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm I recently made a new home for my stones. The end of my kitchen island had a wine rack built in. I don’t drink wine and the slots were to large for craft beers.

So I decided to convert the space into racks for my stones, and various other knife related goodies. It worked out pretty well and gives me some room to add more stones to the collection in the future.
Looks great Sean and such an amazing transformation from the before photo. Great vision!!
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:46 am A couple tubs of stones along with other sharpening toys and knife stuff stored in the top of a small tool closet.
All my stones are splash-n-go and dry quickly so they get stored in their original boxes in the tubs.
Jeff, I borrowed your idea of the Ikea lid organiser to dry the stones after use. So simple and yet so effective!!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I have Shapton Glass 220, Naniwa Pro (newer, not Chosera) 1000 and a Rika 5k. I put all three in a kitchen cupboard after I am done. I live in a desert climate so all will dry well no mater what. I lay the Glass flat, because that is all you can do with it, and all it needs. I started standing the Naniwa on edge because of what I read here. Mine has small spider cracks, like others have observed, but too small to interfere with sharpening, also as others have observed. I treat the Rika like the Naniwa. I am not sure it needs it, but why not.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

This is how I store mine. When we moved a few months ago I had to find a secure cabinet to put my knives in. Got these from Ikea and really pleased how they turned out.

rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 pm

This would be a great project to work with a custom wood maker to design a higher quality and taller version to fit 240mm knives.
Agreed! When I first saw the pic, I got excited but then realized that the height limitation remains. So the search for a compact but tall counter top soln continues....
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Wow Arthur! Beautiful display you have there!

Ray- I will start a thread on the subject. Maybe the right people will see it and some sort of semi-custom group project can be born 😁
datster

Post by datster »

Rose got tired of me making a mess on the island and having to carry boxes out of the utility room so she bought me this workbench to keep in the kitchen, it sits in front of the window (Zen like - looking outside to the bird feeders :D ) Then, I got this idea from Kit that sits on the right side, a bamboo rack to hold the stones that don't permasoak. The permasoaks are on a stool on the left side of the bench and the ones that seem to almost never get used are on the bottom rack of the workbench. The pics were on one of the "change the water, clean the mess" days, it doesn't usually look quite this nice, LOL!

Thanks to a very understanding wife. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks to Kit for this idea! :idea: :idea: :idea:

The perma-tub, we call it the stone spa. :lol: :lol:

My special place ........... 8-) 8-)

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

rayl1234 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 am
Sean-in-AK wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:14 pm

This would be a great project to work with a custom wood maker to design a higher quality and taller version to fit 240mm knives.
Agreed! When I first saw the pic, I got excited but then realized that the height limitation remains. So the search for a compact but tall counter top soln continues....

I have a customer who has pushed me to work on a simple effective and space efficient countertop block. I have several ideas in mind. I know several people here have asked for a block, I think this one will be a winner. Stay tuned.
Sean-in-AK

Post by Sean-in-AK »

Datster- awesome setup!! I love it!

Ben- sounds great! I was hoping this would peek your interest. I did start a thread on the subject and plan to add more to it tonight after work.
Horizonson

Post by Horizonson »

You all have got me drooling over here! 😲😍
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Sean-in-AK wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22 am Datster- awesome setup!! I love it!

Ben- sounds great! I was hoping this would peek your interest. I did start a thread on the subject and plan to add more to it tonight after work.
I could make something like your rotating block as well, that would be more work, I am guessing someone can mass produce them and pass on the time efficiently in the form of $$ to the customer. Everything I make is one off hand crafted.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

On their edges on a nonslip mat on a wire shelf in the garage to make sure they get plenty of air circulation to promote even drying and not mold. Maybe they dry too fast and that's why my stones crack... I really don't know

shevitz

Post by shevitz »

datster wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am
Unbelievably gorgeous stone. Love that renge. Must have cost a pretty penny. Was that one of Mark's special uchigumori?

Danny
datster

Post by datster »

shevitz wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:14 pm Unbelievably gorgeous stone. Love that renge. Must have cost a pretty penny. Was that one of Mark's special uchigumori?

Danny
No, don't remember if I got that one from BST or one of the stone vendors, it's been quite a while ago. It is a great stone, but small, 150x59x13, so that makes it affordable, LOL!
J david

Post by J david »

Nothing fancy here, basically piled up in drawers.

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Naturals are in a pelican case...
Pictures to come later
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

datster wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:39 am Rose got tired of me making a mess on the island and having to carry boxes out of the utility room so she bought me this workbench to keep in the kitchen, it sits in front of the window (Zen like - looking outside to the bird feeders :D ) Then, I got this idea from Kit that sits on the right side, a bamboo rack to hold the stones that don't permasoak. The permasoaks are on a stool on the left side of the bench and the ones that seem to almost never get used are on the bottom rack of the workbench. The pics were on one of the "change the water, clean the mess" days, it doesn't usually look quite this nice, LOL!

Thanks to a very understanding wife. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks to Kit for this idea! :idea: :idea: :idea:

The perma-tub, we call it the stone spa. :lol: :lol:

My special place ........... 8-) 8-)

Very nice, very nice indeed!!
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

J david wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm Nothing fancy here, basically piled up in drawers.

Great stone collection!!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

arthurfowler wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:01 am
Jeff B wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:46 am A couple tubs of stones along with other sharpening toys and knife stuff stored in the top of a small tool closet.
All my stones are splash-n-go and dry quickly so they get stored in their original boxes in the tubs.
Jeff, I borrowed your idea of the Ikea lid organiser to dry the stones after use. So simple and yet so effective!!
The reason why I try to share what I do regardless of how simplistic it may be. You never know
when it will be of help to someone else. Glad it works for you too!

Those cabinets you use look awesome Gareth!!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

So many stones - so little time :( :(
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!