Tojiro angle guide

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
studio398

Tojiro angle guide

Post by studio398 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 am

on the CKTG website is the Tojiro angle guide, item # F-443. i want to purchase it for a gift. i know it depends on knife height, but for the typical gyuto, what is the approximate angle at which this sharpens? TIA
"Have a sharp day"

lsboogy

Re: Tojiro angle guide

Post by lsboogy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:58 pm

I go about 15 degrees a side for German knives, 10-12 on most blue or white steel and may go down to 6 or so on powder steel stuff. How acute the edge a steel can hold is dependent on the hardness. For a camping knife I might go out to 20, it's all part of the art - nothing is set in stone for sharpening - the more acute the angle, the sharper it will feel, but the edge can get very thin and will roll with soft steels or may chip if your cutting technique is not really good with hard steels. Find out what cha like.

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:25 pm

I got one of these one day to pad my order high enough for free shipping and just never use it. On the box it says:

"Get the most suitable angle for sharpening(45 degrees) by horizontally adjusting the lines on TOGRIP to the whetstone." There weren't any instructions in the box just a few diagrams on the back. Maybe 22.5 degrees might be ok for a Wusthof, but a Jknife is going to want 15 or under i think. For another 23 bucks on amazon you might want to get the Lansky 5 stone kit for $33.

studio398

Post by studio398 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm

thanks, Bob Z. i'm getting it for a kid who does a lot of camping, and i'm thinking 22.5 degrees will be just about right for his purposes. thanks again
"Have a sharp day"