Stroping with water stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Ut_ron

Stroping with water stones

Post by Ut_ron »

I have shapton pro stones. My question is if I strop using it dry what grit would it be? I am assuming it would be lower. 5k wet and 4K dry.

Sometimes I want to touch up but not worry about letting the stone dry before putting it away.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
nevrknow

Re: Stroping with water stones

Post by nevrknow »

That’s one of the things I love about stones. Experimenting!!

See what works or not for me.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

If stropping on unloaded strops wont refresh the edge properly then my next step is to go back to the highest grit stone I used when sharpening that knife and I use it dry. YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I'm curious as to why you would use a stone dry as opposed too wet for stropping?
J david

Post by J david »

Using dry does give a different result than wet. I often like stopping on a dry Kitayama 8k. It gives a bit more tooth compared to using it wet. It is a nice, mud free, quick touch up.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

jacko9 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:25 pm I'm curious as to why you would use a stone dry as opposed too wet for stropping?
Good question Jack because it's made me think about why and I don't have an immediate answer :?

A couple of things come to mind in a similar vein to J david's response, in that it's clean, quick & easy. Also I see it very much as stropping as opposed to sharpening, so just a reset really with minimal metal removal, no real lubrication required and certainly no heat generated that might need dissipating more quickly.

Also it could just be that I'm a bit of a Luddite over some things as per my first post on this where I commented that I don't use compounds. Definitely not a closed mind on these things, but with both I'd probably need to be convinced that there is some advantage in adding compounds / water fro stropping.

You've got me curious now :lol:
Cheers Grant

jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Radar53 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 pm
jacko9 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:25 pm I'm curious as to why you would use a stone dry as opposed too wet for stropping?
Good question Jack because it's made me think about why and I don't have an immediate answer :?

A couple of things come to mind in a similar vein to J david's response, in that it's clean, quick & easy. Also I see it very much as stropping as opposed to sharpening, so just a reset really with minimal metal removal, no real lubrication required and certainly no heat generated that might need dissipating more quickly.

Also it could just be that I'm a bit of a Luddite over some things as per my first post on this where I commented that I don't use compounds. Definitely not a closed mind on these things, but with both I'd probably need to be convinced that there is some advantage in adding compounds / water fro stropping.

You've got me curious now :lol:
As far as hear generation (not that I think there is much if any) the water lubrication would decrease friction and lessen any heat generated. As far as sharpening vs stropping both mechanisms seem to be removing metal it's just the rate of removal that changes I would imagine. I'd like to hear from anybody else on the water vs dry.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Why would I want to strip dry?

Getting busy cooking for family it’s very easy to just strip dry and then put it back into its case without taking the time to let it dry.

Or me just being lazy 😂

I do believe it will be lesser grit but was hoping people far knowledgeable then me would educate me 😀
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Ut_ron wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am Why would I want to strip dry?

Getting busy cooking for family it’s very easy to just strip dry and then put it back into its case without taking the time to let it dry.

Or me just being lazy 😂

I do believe it will be lesser grit but was hoping people far knowledgeable then me would educate me 😀
I just love autocorrect - are you stripping or stropping?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

jacko9 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am As far as hear generation (not that I think there is much if any) the water lubrication would decrease friction and lessen any heat generated. As far as sharpening vs stropping both mechanisms seem to be removing metal it's just the rate of removal that changes I would imagine. I'd like to hear from anybody else on the water vs dry.
Hi Jack. Yeah, I definitely agree that both sharpening & stropping remove metal. However in my head and practice, stropping is orders of magnitude lighter & gentler than sharpening ~ removal of the last traces of a burr, slight reset of a rolled or damaged edge. Pressure of 0.1 on the "Pete Nowlan" scale. Anything that requires more than this touch up and it's certainly water and maybe P1 pressure. Maybe that's just a difference without any distinction. :?
Cheers Grant

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

jacko9 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:21 am
Ut_ron wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am Why would I want to strip dry?

Or me just being lazy 😂

I just love autocorrect - are you stripping or stropping?
Yep autocorrect got me again.😬
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Then thete was the case of an elderly gentleman who was removed from the departm2nt store. He asked how to use his credit card and the cashier told him ' Strip down, face forward ...'

To me the biggest priblem with 'stripping without water is building up metal swarf on the stone unnecessarily which also reduces the efficiency of the stone from clogging / glazing.

I much orefer a strop with a suitable grit on it - no water, no fuss fast

---
Ken
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Well I am building some leather strops. That’s looks like the best solution for quick tuneup.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ut_ron wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 am Well I am building some leather strops. That’s looks like the best solution for quick tuneup.
A moment of personal bias ..... Get the good ones:)

---
Ken