Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Post Reply
slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:01 pm

As I continue this knife journey, I've been finding a lot of joy in working on my knives. I'm always tinkering with something so when I found this pre-owned Kono Fuji Kiritsuke, I thought it'd be a good value to restore and I've never worked on a single bevel before. It wasn't in terrible shape but definitely could use some love. Heavy patina, broken tip, chips along the edge, dings across the blade surface, dinged up handle. It was a "used" knife for sure!

The other issue was I couldn't find an image of what this knife actually looked like when it was new. I googled a whole bunch of images but none of that exact knife so it was kind of a free for all on what I was going to do with this thing. I started with wet/dry sandpaper (80-600), then went to the micromesh pads, and finished with diamond paste + A LOT of elbow grease. Then, off to the stones to try for a halfway acceptable kasumi. There are a couple areas that I still need to work on along the way but didn't want to remove too much metal. I'm happy with where it is so far.

Started with this:
Image

Image

Ended with this:
Image

Image

Image

Image

I'm building out a handle for it too.
Last edited by slobound on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Garrick

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11844
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by Jeff B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Looks great Garrick, nice work!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:43 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:05 pm
Looks great Garrick, nice work!
Thanks Jeff!
-- Garrick

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by pd7077 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm

Fantastic work Garrick! Night and day difference on those before and after shots.

Micromesh does a good job, but I’ve found that it’s not as aggressive (read: efficient) as using some quality wet/dry sandpaper (with a firm backing). I’ve found that using a Rhynowet sandpaper progression up to 2500 grit followed by diamond emulsions got the job done much more quickly than micromesh pads. This is especially true when working on the ura side of the blade.

If you’re trying to work out low spots on the blade road, then there’s really no substitute for a good ole stone progression followed by Jnats for the kasumi finish. But for pure aesthetics, you can get by on sandpaper, diamond emulsions & fingerstones.

Really looking forward to seeing the final results. Superb work thus far!!!
--- Steve

User avatar
Organic
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:51 am
Location: Charlton, MA, USA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by Organic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 am

That looks like some good work. Thanks for sharing!

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm
Fantastic work Garrick! Night and day difference on those before and after shots.

Micromesh does a good job, but I’ve found that it’s not as aggressive (read: efficient) as using some quality wet/dry sandpaper (with a firm backing). I’ve found that using a Rhynowet sandpaper progression up to 2500 grit followed by diamond emulsions got the job done much more quickly than micromesh pads. This is especially true when working on the ura side of the blade.

If you’re trying to work out low spots on the blade road, then there’s really no substitute for a good ole stone progression followed by Jnats for the kasumi finish. But for pure aesthetics, you can get by on sandpaper, diamond emulsions & fingerstones.

Really looking forward to seeing the final results. Superb work thus far!!!
Wow, thanks Steve! It's a WIP but happy to hear from "The Man" himself!

I'll definitely look into that Rhynowet sandpaper. The micromesh was a PIA. I do have to find me some fingerstones... I don't have any at this point. Any advice/suggestions on that front?
-- Garrick

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:25 pm

Organic wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:42 am
That looks like some good work. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much!
-- Garrick

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by pd7077 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm

slobound wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Wow, thanks Steve! It's a WIP but happy to hear from "The Man" himself!

I'll definitely look into that Rhynowet sandpaper. The micromesh was a PIA. I do have to find me some fingerstones... I don't have any at this point. Any advice/suggestions on that front?
Yep, me :lol: Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you some to play around with.
--- Steve

RonAZ
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by RonAZ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 pm

Hi Steve - I'm about to start my first real attempt at polishing. I have the sandpaper and various diamond emulsions from sharpening but what micron progression do you use for the emulsion? I assume you use the emulsion on hard felt.
Thanks...Ron

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by pd7077 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:25 pm

RonAZ wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:59 pm
Hi Steve - I'm about to start my first real attempt at polishing. I have the sandpaper and various diamond emulsions from sharpening but what micron progression do you use for the emulsion? I assume you use the emulsion on hard felt.
Thanks...Ron
The sandpaper progression I use is 280, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 & 2500 grit. I don’t always start with the coarsest grit I have. I try to start with the finest grit possible. 2500 grit is a smidge over 8 microns so the diamond emulsions I have are 6um, 3um, 1um & 0.5um. I don’t always go through the full sandpaper & diamond emulsion progression. My endpoint is dependent on what my desired finish is for that knife. And yes on the hard felt 👍🏻
--- Steve

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:47 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:46 pm
slobound wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Wow, thanks Steve! It's a WIP but happy to hear from "The Man" himself!

I'll definitely look into that Rhynowet sandpaper. The micromesh was a PIA. I do have to find me some fingerstones... I don't have any at this point. Any advice/suggestions on that front?
Yep, me :lol: Shoot me a PM and I’ll send you some to play around with.
Oh man... that would be awesome!
-- Garrick

RonAZ
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by RonAZ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Steve - You're a lifesaver, I appreciate the practical roadmap a lot. I'm about to try to refinish an older Masamoto and you saved me a lot of trial and error.
Thanks....Ron

RonAZ
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by RonAZ » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Steve - You're a lifesaver, I appreciate the practical roadmap a lot. I'm about to try to refinish an older Masamoto and you saved me a lot of trial and error.
Thanks....Ron

User avatar
pd7077
Posts: 987
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by pd7077 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm

I’m by no means a pro, but I’m always happy to help if I can 👍🏻
--- Steve

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11844
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by Jeff B » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm

pd7077 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm
I’m by no means a pro...
Yeah right! :roll:
Gotta love the modesty though. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

MisoSatisfried
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:38 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by MisoSatisfried » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm
pd7077 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm
I’m by no means a pro...
Yeah right! :roll:
Gotta love the modesty though. ;)
Well said Jeff!
This turned out awesome man. Way to bring it back to life!!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:21 am

pd7077 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm
I’m by no means a pro, but I’m always happy to help if I can 👍🏻
I call BS, about the pro part :lol:
-- Garrick

slobound
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by slobound » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:23 am

MisoSatisfried wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:31 pm
Jeff B wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:52 pm
pd7077 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm
I’m by no means a pro...
Yeah right! :roll:
Gotta love the modesty though. ;)
This turned out awesome man. Way to bring it back to life!!
Thanks Dave!
-- Garrick

mfishsauce
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:08 am

Re: Show & Tell: Kono Fuji Kiritsuke

Post by mfishsauce » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:15 pm

Props on the work! Cheers

Post Reply