Leveling Shapton glass stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
metambre77

Leveling Shapton glass stones

Post by metambre77 »

It's time for new stones and I am leaning towards Shapton glass (500,2k,6k)
I need an alternative to the shapton stone flattener due to its cost, the only thing i have seen mentioned is the aroma 140

I currently have:
https://www.korin.com/Pink-Sharpening-Stone-Fixer_2

Any suggestions/recommendations are greatly appreciated

thanks!
Radar53

Re: Leveling Shapton glass stones

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There Met and welcome to the forum.

Yes the Atoma plates are excellent, but pretty expensive. This is Mark's own diamond plate https://www.chefknivestogo.com/140grdistflp.html and it gets very good reports here on the forum. Currently OOS.

I also thought that he did a 400 grit as well, but couldn't find it on the product pages.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like the CKTG plate that is oos. So much so that I have three of them. One for synthetics, one for naturals and a smaller one that I use to raise a slurry on my Naka-to that do not have tomo nagura. That said, the Atoma does exhibit a little less stickage. Does that make it worth almost 3x the cost, to me no, but to some it does. That does not mean that it is not worth the price though. Btw, Mark does have an 80 grit plate but that might be pushing it on the finer grit stones. Maybe not so much might for many, many peoples taste.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Yes, to the above. The CKTG plates work great and last a very long time. I have the 80 grit and it’s probably overkill for stones unless you have major material to remove. The 140 is perfect.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

OT: I am now intrigued by the 80 and ordered one to try, Didn’t know they come that aggressive. Definitely some occasions where I could’ve used something more aggressive for a repair.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I use the Atoma 140 for all my stones
mfishsauce

Post by mfishsauce »

Jason H wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:32 pm Yes, to the above. The CKTG plates work great and last a very long time. I have the 80 grit and it’s probably overkill for stones unless you have major material to remove. The 140 is perfect.
Definitely concur with this advice!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I highly recommend the Atoma 140 for most uses. No personal experience with the CKTG plates. The Atomas EASILY outlast the DMT plates and they have minimal stiction problems (sticking to the stone during flattening)

In addition to the Atomas (140 400 600 1200) I have supplemented these with additional grits at 46 grit, 60 grit 100 and 150 grit, plus a 3000 grit plate. Together these provide an excellent range of grits for most any occasion. The 46 grit is very fast for badly dished stones and quick work.

---
Ken