TS prof

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.

TS prof

Post by 5698k »

I just saw this on YouTube, it looks interesting. Anyone with any experience on this?

tsprof.com.
Organic

Re: TS prof

Post by Organic »

I have no experience with that particular sharpening tool. I believe that these are made in Russia, so getting any customer support if you're in the US may be difficult. My preference in the world of guided sharpening tools is the Wicked Edge. Their units are in a similar price range and have a very good reputation for quality and customer support.

In general, guided sharpening systems don't get a lot of love on this forum as most here prefer to sharpen free handed. In my mind, both approaches are valid and offer their own advantages and pitfalls. I prefer the guided approach because my ability to keep a steady angle with free hand sharpening is very poor and I end up wasting a lot of time and ending up with an edge that will barely pass as sharp and doesn't look very good. I know that every time I go to sharpen a knife with my Wicked Edge the result will be amazingly sharp. On the flip side, the clamped nature of the Wicked Edge (and other similar systems) introduces its own set of issues in addition to cost. For the price of a basic Wicked Edge setup you could have a very nice set of whetstones that would be more than you would ever outgrow.

Post by 5698k »

Yeah, I realize guided systems aren’t a favorite. I currently have an edge pro apex, and have had good luck with it. I’ve been considering upgrading to the pro, because when anyone does do that upgrade, it’s supposed to be a significant jump.

I looked at wicked edge, but it don’t like the stone limitations.

The ts prof, from what I can tell in the YouTube videos, is a serious piece of equipment. Machined metal parts, various attachments for different blades, plus edge pro stones fit perfectly.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Not that one but I first bought an expensive KME sharpener. It is great for pocket knives and does a heck of a job on those but bigger knives,not so much. I agree with the above post that the price you pay for these clamp style set ups,you can easily buy a very nice set of stones. This is the one I have with all the bells and whistles plus I added the kangaroo strops with the CBN emulsions.
https://www.kmesharp.com/ It too,has it's pros and cons.
Squirrelbutter

Post by Squirrelbutter »

There are definitely some things I like on that ts prof mostly the angle gauge but overall nothing to revolutionary. I currently use the Hapstone v7 and love the fact that it uses magnets instead of a clamp
J david

Post by J david »

A friend of mine just got this setup and demonstrated it for me. It is very well made, well engineered, and solid (more so than KME and edgepro). Practically, it will perform no differently than the others and has exactly the same pros and cons as any guided system. I don't use guided systems, so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Post by 5698k »

I got the ts prof, and just used it for the first time. As I stated before, I’ve been using an edge pro apex, with good results, but I never got over the awkwardness of holding the knife in each hand and keeping it consistent.

The ts is everything as described. Very solidly built, precise, and rock steady. I sharpened a 240mm Toyama Gyuto for the first time, and the results were dramatic. The clamp system is easy, and being able to rotate 180° makes consistency a given. It’s design allows use of a digital protractor, so angles are precise. I sharpened at 17°, but I could easily get below 10° if desired.

If anyone is looking for a guided system that will last a lifetime, I recommend this one
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I recently picked one up. It’s amazing 😎
Previously used a faux-pro and shapton glass stones
Bpboogie

Post by Bpboogie »

I just received mine a week ago, and was immediately impressed with the precise machining and the overall build quality. Their clamp system works fine, but Tsprof also developed what they call a universal table for thicker blades, that can be used like an edge pro. Any abrasives made for the edgepro fit these sharpeners as well.
The abrasives that come with it are ok, just go to 1000 grit, so I picked up a set of edge pro shapton glass stones from Mark, which are a lot more effective. It’s a pricey system to be sure, but it does work, and is built as advertised.