First 3 stones?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Papou

Re: First 3 stones?

Post by Papou »

trojanrx wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:07 am Thanks for the feedback =). I am going with the naniwa 400, kohetsu 2000 (other feedback on old posts suggest this is another great stone and a bit softer than the shapton... I think I might personally prefer a softer stone), and dropping the 1k/6k combo for a 140 flattener. I will probably add the Rika 5k later on once I get some experience.
trojanrx , not that yourve made a bad choise as they are good stones but if your going with the Naniwa 400 why not your mid stone choise be the Naniwa 1000 ?? both of those stones give good feedback and load up nicely Especially in your case for first stones but quallity stones.
Another Coarse grit stone with excellent feedback which loads up a nice slurry is the Cerax 320 . Stones which i have and like you i am not in pro sharpening and these stones give me excellent finish.
Have also the Kings in mention ( bar the 300 odd) and those stones have been with me for over twenty years now , served me well but dish easy and where pricewise might be better ?? i dont think the quallity is akin the the Naniwa or cerax personally..
Just my two bobs worth :)
Papou

Post by Papou »

PS. Reason for those stones for my case is i feel that the feedback a stone can give will help enormousely on your journey to sharpening , knowing if your on the right track and help develope a passion for sharpening .
Sometimes cheaper isnt neccesarilly better or cheaper in the long run .
Buy once, buy well .
My case at least :).
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

OP reasonably supposes that three stones is the minimal sharpening set. Seatle_Ben opines that a flattening plate is also needed. From my own experience, I agree. As Ben states, the CKTG offerings are economical and do the job. Ok, we are up to four things.

A fifth thing, which is a strop, is needed to make me happy with my knives. My poor man's solution (newspaper wrapped around a stone) is noticeably better than just leaving off with the just my top grit stone (Rika 5k). CKTG sharpening videos often end with a short stropping session with 1 micron diamond on smooth leather. I intend to try that myself.

Yes, I am suggesting or supporting five things rather than OP's requested 3 stone solution. However, depending on how you do it, the five that I am suggesting is only marginally more expensive than three basic stones.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I got by with 2 for many years (Kikuichi 1K and Kitiyama 8K) - and I get the next gen (neices and nephew) each a Cerax 1K/3K combo stone. What is needed is subjective and individual. I did not use a strop on a kitchen knife until the past few years, and flattened my stones on the front stoop - just how I learned. Biggest thing is to get a stone and practice. Especially if you did not have the advantage of parents teaching you how to use stones (my dad taught me tool and pocket knife sharpening and my mom taught me kitchen knives).