Storing Shapton Glass Stones

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
IndigoBlue

Storing Shapton Glass Stones

Post by IndigoBlue »

Hi Folks,

I just ordered a bunch of Shapton glass stones. I'm wondering if anyone has found a good way to store them. It looks like they just come in cardboard boxes.

Where do you keep yours?
M1k3-

Re: Storing Shapton Glass Stones

Post by M1k3- »

I leave mine (500 grit) out overnight. Then I put it back in the box. I store it in a drawer. I have a few packets of desicants in there for safe measure.
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

I let them air dry on a drying mat and then place them in a drawer. Nothing special, but the ambient indoor conditions here are fairly benign (no excess anything).
studio398

Post by studio398 »

store it on a wire rack for a few days. then on a shelf in my closet. i never put my stones back in their box, except for shapton pro (plastic box with ventililation)
"Have a sharp day"
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

I keep all stones and strops on a bamboo plate drying rack on a shelf above the sink.
On one side (potentially prevents cracking?). Ventilation ends up being fine so it all dries fine. Easy access.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

I have a wire rack from Home Depot that I have layed some microfiber towels on and after I'm done with the stone I dry it and lay it face done on the rack so the stone itself is in contact with the microfiber. I have about 10 or so Glass stones I have kept this way for a couple years now.
dc2123

Post by dc2123 »

I’m new to sharpening and curious to know how most people store their stones. I have a king combo and green brick of joy. after I sharpen I rinse them off and then wrap them in a towel. Is that sufficient and good for the stones + diamond plate?
orezeno

Post by orezeno »

I use the Shapton Glass stones as my primary stones because they can handle a wide range of steel, and perform consistently. I have a four-level wire shelf system that I bought at Amazon. I use this for all of my stones (the rack is full). When I'm done for the day, I put a final level on each stone I've used, rinse them, wipe off excess moisture then place them face up on rubberized shelf lining. This procedure seems fine for stones that I go through pretty fast, like the 320 and 1K, and for stones that I'll never go through like the 16K and 32K.

I actually use this procedure for all my stones since I no longer permasoak.
Greg
JayBee

Post by JayBee »

I leave them out to dry on a bamboo rack for a day or two, then put it back in the box. My other stones that retain water better like the Rika have to dry out for over a week before I can even think of putting them back in a box.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Bamboo shoe rack.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Let them dry overnight on the counter and put them away the next day.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.