My Grandmother used to prep this with just a paring knife.

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Robstreperous

My Grandmother used to prep this with just a paring knife.

Post by Robstreperous » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:29 pm

This is the veggie prep for my grandmother's vegetable soup recipe. She used to do it in its entirety with nothing but a paring knife -- sharpened on the grinder attachment on the back of an electric can opener.

She'd sit at her breakfastroom table - radio on - and the veggies would go straight from her hand into the pot. Just a paring knife....

Lepus

Re: My Grandmother used to prep this with just a paring knife.

Post by Lepus » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:09 pm

My grandmother used the electric can opener sharpener too, but on a full sized carbon French knife. I'll have to dig up a few pictures.

I cannot imagine the devotion to the paring knife it would take to do that once, much less with regularity.

J david

Post by J david » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:05 pm

My mother does the same except no knife sharpener to speak of.

salemj

Post by salemj » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Indeed. I'm convinced that this is the source of phrases like "I labored all day in the kitchen over this meal!" Not to take anything away from my mom or grandmother, but sometimes when I go over an old recipe, I'm amazed at how quickly it comes together...with a decent knife and decent skills, that is!

FYI, my mom also used the back of the can opener sharpener most of the time (every several years my dad would try to sharpen the blades on a grinding wheel).
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 am

I remember the knife sharpening can opener well as a kid in the 70's
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

timos

Post by timos » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am

woahhh! sweet pic, I will have to save this one too :)
“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”shunryu suzuki
http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
[email protected]

Georgek

Post by Georgek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Wow! This photo really takes me back to my grandmother's kitchen! They were hard-wired in a different way. You could not really tell the cutting edge or the spine of my grandmother's pairing knife, but the food was always the tastiest of all!

Great work Rob! (and lots of patience for the fine dice!)

Thezep

Post by Thezep » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 am

My grandmother did all of her prep with a paring knife as well. So did the owner's mother at a restaurant I used to work at They both grew up quite poor, something tells me it was the only knife they had access to, or their dad's pocket knife when their mothers were teaching them how to cook and it just stuck.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:34 am

My grandmother was one of the best cooks in the family. Baking was from a box, food was over salted ect...meanwhile I made homemade Oreos for a friends bday last night.

Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:28 pm

My grandfather was straight from Sicily (as was my father)... He cut EVERYTHING with a pocket knife.... Like EVERYTHING.. Veggies...steak...chicken... Drywall... Flooring .. You get the idea lol

Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:06 pm

That is very cool. Here's the picture I originally posted. Still amazed she pulled that all off with nothing but a paring knife.