Dutch Oven/Braiser

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Imma Chef

Re: Dutch Oven/Braiser

Post by Imma Chef »

keithmarder wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:49 pm
I was thinking of adding a Braiser (a Staub)
Robstreperous wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:03 pm
For what it's worth my dutch ovens are all enameled LeCreuset.
I think this article may be useful: https://cookwareinsider.com/staub-vs-le-creuset/

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I just wanted to post an update here about a recent experience with Staub (Zwilling). I bought a 8.5 qt oval cocotte in a new colour, white truffle, very nice imo. Purchased direct from Zwilling's Canadian website. It arrived a couple weeks later, and I immediately noticed a problem. Around the entire edge of the rim of the lid, there was black scuff marks where there should have been the white truffle finish. This was not the case on my blue or red ones. So, I immediately emailed customer service representative and explained the issue. I was shocked to hear that their policy was for the consumer to pay for return shipping. Especially for such a large, heavy (20 lbs) item that had a quality control issue. Shipping with Canada Post started at $40, and Purolator started at $120. After much back and forth, they eventually agreed to pay for the shipping. A month or so later, new cocotte, same problem, unwilling to go through that again. It's hard to say if it is a problem with the new colour, or if it is a problem with all 8.5 qt oval cocottes. Please be aware of this, in my opinion, shoddy return policy.

Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^^ Drag and thanks for the heads up.

Kind of like Patagonia's lifetime replacement policy. Lifetime means for as long as they sell that item. That's why I'm an Arc'teryx guy.

gladius

Post by gladius »

Got photo?

My Staub lids have the same black coating as the inside from edge-to-edge.

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I have a few Staub pieces (bought at a deep discount) but I prefer Le Creuset. If I had to replace any pieces, I wouldn't switch from Le Creuset to Staub. The main area in which I feel Staub is superior is in the aesthetics. Their colors are more attractive. Their glossier finishes are stunning and the metallic knobs add a very cool accent. The more engineered interiors of their lids are definitely more functional but that doesn't really move the needle for me because the LC lids have never seemed deficient.

But when it comes to this type of cookware, my Le Creuset pieces perform great and they've held up extremely well over the 2+ decades I've owned (most of) them. On that basis alone, I'd say they are superior to Staub. I've added to my LC collection when sale opportunities have come up over the years. But in the end, 2 or 3 of my LC pieces get heavy use, while most of the others get occasional use at the most. And I've never had to replace or repair one.

Where I think LC is especially superior is inside the pot. The lighter color is leaps and bounds ahead of Staub, and makes it much easier to see what's going on in the vessel. I find it almost impossible to know what's going on in the bottom of a Staub, especially when trying to develop a fond. In a Staub, you simply cannot see how dark what you're cooking is getting because the inside of the pot is black. I also think the smoother surface of the LC interiors provides a more favorable non-stick environment. The slightly rough surface of the Staubs is problematic. Perhaps for a straight liquid cook with no preliminary sear, the Staub might be as good. But I mainly use these pieces to braise and braising almost always starts with a sear. For that reason alone, I cannot envision ever consistently choosing Staub over Le Creuset, especially when taking into account Drewski's recent customer service experience.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

gladius wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Got photo?

My Staub lids have the same black coating as the inside from edge-to-edge.
And I don't care if some of you think I was being picky. For that price, I expect perfection.
Attachments
20191118_222724.jpg
20191118_222734.jpg

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I just ordered the Cuisinart version ATK best value 7 qt model but i would be tweaked if my $350 plus staub developed black along its edges.