Himalayan Salt BlocK

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Ut_ron

Himalayan Salt BlocK

Post by Ut_ron » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

I have been reading about cooks who use the Himalayan Salt Block.

It sounds interesting but can’t quite believe how good they say the food comes out.

Any chefs here have any experience with these and if so share your insight on it.

Thanks
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.

Drewski

Re: Himalayan Salt BlocK

Post by Drewski » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 am

Ut_ron wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

It sounds interesting but can’t quite believe how good they say the food comes out.

Any chefs here have any experience with these and if so share your insight on it.

Thanks
I got one maybe 5 years ago. Biggest one I could find, somewhere in the states. Was maybe 8x12 or so. I didn't use it for a few weeks after buying it and it seemed to attach moisture in that time. I threw it on the bbq with no heat and gently started to heat it, as I recall the instructions were for the first time use, and after a while the block just split in a bunch of pieces. I was crushed. A complete waste. I'm sure lots of them must work great, but I am not going down that road again. Still interested in what a steak would taste like, being cooked on a salt block.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:50 am

Drewski wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:36 am
Ut_ron wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks
I got one maybe 5 years ago. Biggest one I could find, somewhere in the states. Was maybe 8x12 or so. I didn't use it for a few weeks after buying it and it seemed to attach moisture in that time. I threw it on the bbq with no heat and gently started to heat it, as I recall the instructions were for the first time use, and after a while the block just split in a bunch of pieces. I was crushed. A complete waste. I'm sure lots of them must work great, but I am not going down that road again. Still interested in what a steak would taste like, being cooked on a salt block.

They seem to come and go in popularity. Over my years being active and moderating bbq forums, I haven’t seen anyone stick with the salt block for more than a couple weeks. They all crack eventually.

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:53 pm

Tells me what I needed to know. Yep won’t be buying these.

Thanks for the heads up.

old onion

Post by old onion » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:38 am

I have one that is a lamp. I use it for medicinal purposes. I do have some that comes in a salt shaker and I have used it. I guess I am just hooked on good sea salt.

Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 pm

I do use the salt a lot 😀

Was curious about cooking on them but it doesn’t sound that it works to well.