Convection, air fryers, toasters, etc

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ken123

Convection, air fryers, toasters, etc

Post by ken123 »

Just wanted to get some ideas from our 'chefs'. Thoughts on convection ovens, air fryers, microwaves, toasters etc. Mostly interested in desktop / countertop sized units, but wherever this thread goes is fine with me. Is convection or air frying worthwhile or can you do most everything with a frying pan and a sharp knife? etc

---
Ken
ronnie_suburban

Re: Convection, air fryers, toasters, etc

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Home cook here. I'm very happy with my Breville small appliances and, based on my experience, would buy them again. In fact, I've bought multiple units of each for various locations, offices, etc. They're not inexpensive but they perform consistently well. I have countertop convection ovens as well as 4-slice toasters. The oven cooks very evenly and is a convenient choice when I don't feel like firing up my regular oven in warmer weather. And its relatively large size allows me to do that fairly often. It easily fits a 9x13x4" baker. The multiple convection settings operate as touted. And the adjustable rack provides for more efficient broiling, baking and toasting. One thing that I didn't like at first is the fact that every cook mode is timer-only. This irritated me until one late night when I drunkenly put a couple of slices of pizza in it and promptly passed out. I came to 2 hours later monumentally grateful that the oven had turned off after 12 minutes (the last interval at which I'd used it). And yeah, I snarfed those slices. ;)

While the oven also toasts evenly, the dedicated toaster is fast (faster), which was the top box on my checklist. I almost never use the bagel setting (which only toasts the inside-facing side) or the defrost setting but the 'a bit more' and 'lift and look' button/settings are both really convenient.

Both units have easy, slide-out crumb trays, which makes clean-up and general care pretty darned easy, too. Again, not cheap but both really easy-to-use, convenient, solid performers that have never (knock wood) let me down yet.

=R=
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Agree on the Breville oven...ours is used several times a day.

I also use a T-Fal deep fryer (recommendation from the Forum) and like it, though it is only used 1-2 times a month.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

My experience with my sister’s Breville was maddening. Far too complicated for what you’re trying to accomplish, which is saving time. Ridiculously difficult to figure out the various programming modes to fit your singular need. I am curious about the stainless air fryer offered on QVC, though. Emeril LaGasse pimps it,but the idea that it appears on QVC gives me the willies. I eat a shit ton of chicken wings, and a convection oven is a must. Our oven, sadly is a conventional gas oven, and the one time I cooked them in my parents’ electric convection oven proved to be a smashing success. Anyone have any experience with a stainless air fryer OTHER than the overpriced Breville?
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Breville Toaster Oven is a winner. Bought one for my folks and they love it. Gave one to my brother too and they use is almost daily.
I'm a fan of Breville appliances. We have one of their toasters which is great and their juicer is hands down the best I've ever used.

J Kenji Lopez likes the Cuisinart Air Fryer Oven......it does just about everything!
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Seems we agree :) I got the Oster oven with the French doors. (liked the 16 inch diameter pizza capability). (Just wasn't convinced and will return it). Went to Bed Bath Beyond and got the Brevile Smart air unit. (with a 20% discount). It's a keeper so far. Like the new features - slow cooker, dehydrator , frozen function, phase cooking etc as well as the precision and display and 1800 watts. Just hope it holds up .
Looked at the units with steam and pressure cooking. Just wasnt convinced.
Appreciate the postings!

---
Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

20190707_150826.jpg
First attempt :) Two cornish hens, a bit of soy marinade, no trussing, bake @ 375° for 1:50 . Simple test.
Love the preheat feature.
---
Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Came out well! I played around with convection - regular and super(adds another fan), flipped them over to brown the top and bottom evenly. Ill need to calibrate settings more - time and temp and play with air frying, slow cooking, etc. Its easy to reset temps and times on the fly. The timer stops when the door opens - a good thing.
20190707_164419.jpg
20190707_164510.jpg
20190707_164622.jpg
---
Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well tried making pizza next. I mean how could I fail?

So I got all the settings done, putting a cheese pizza on a round tray. I watched the pizza turn brown and the cheese melt just right. So I opened the door and with a gloved hand pulled the tray out of the oven. Well the pizza SLID OFF of the tray right on to the burner elements! Tried to get it out and the pizza folded over, coating the burner elements and the crumb tray too. A total fail and a pita cleanup :( Lessons learned.

Ken