Chipping in the center of a cast iron pan?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
joanjet

Chipping in the center of a cast iron pan?

Post by joanjet »

Hey everyone, was wondering if any of you had seen something like this before. Was making some steaks and after cleaning off my cast iron pan I noticed the following:

Not sure what I did. Can cast iron really chip like this?
rayl1234

Re: Chipping in the center of a cast iron pan?

Post by rayl1234 »

The actual iron or just the layer of seasoning flaking off? I’ve had seasoning flake off, for which I usually strip and reseason....
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

rayl1234 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:57 am The actual iron or just the layer of seasoning flaking off? I’ve had seasoning flake off, for which I usually strip and reseason....
Oh well I guess that would make more sense than the cast iron itself chipping.. Really didn't think the seasoning on this pan was this thick, assumed it was part of the pan.

So my best option would be to completely scrub this layer out with hot water and soap and reseason from the beginning?
rayl1234

Post by rayl1234 »

I do it the lazy way with the self cleaning cycle in the oven...

In any case, you will know what’s actually chipped once the pan is returned to gray iron!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

If some seasoning comes off (especially if it seems localized), I usually just apply a couple rounds of seasoning on the stovetop. I'm not sure why it would be necessary to strip everything off, but maybe I've never had t this much flake off? Dunno.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'd just keep on using it for now and see how it goes before going through all the hassle of stripping and reseasoning it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:42 pm I'd just keep on using it for now and see how it goes before going through all the hassle of stripping and reseasoning it.
Definitely, just keep using. It may not affect performance at all. Stripping is a pain and the rest the seasoning looks great
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Hard to tell the depth. I would grind it out and reseason the pan.

Ken
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I'm with Jeff. I would just wash it so there is no debri and use it it. If you notice it continues to flake, then I would strip and reseason.
HTXSharp

Post by HTXSharp »

It looks like seasoning coming off. I agree with a couple of the other guys, just keep using, or if you feel compelled to do something, oil that spot very lightly and throw it on the burner or in the oven until you get the oil polymerized. I've stripped/reseasoned 3 pans over the years and it's not worth the work and mess unless the finish is total crap.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Just in case...My carbon steel Matfer finally got a cruddy surface on it and I thought it was affecting cooking eggs so i stripped just the bottom by using some tomato sauce with a few squirts of vinegar. Heated it slowly half an hour and it came right off. I used a plastic spatula to avoid scratches and then paper towels.

I couldnt see any reason to redo the whole pan since the sides looked great.