Pork rib stock

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Drewski

Pork rib stock

Post by Drewski »

I semi-regularly make pork ribs. Typically start by braising in some chicken stock (from paste) with some vegetables. I'm always left with a fair amount of liquid at the end, sometimes I reduce it if there's a lot. After cooling and removing the top fat layer, there's a delicious gelatinous body remaining. Which I save because this must be useful.

Anyone know what I can actually do with this?
bruin

Re: Pork rib stock

Post by bruin »

Gelatinous pork bone stock... the first thing that comes to mind is tonkotsu ramen. Fortify it with some kombu and some allium, serve with noodles, pork belly, soft boiled egg... whatever you like on ramen.

I think the answer does depend on what seasoning is on the ribs in the first place. If it’s BBQ it’s probably not right for ramen (but who knows!?), but once I made a really tasty kale and bean soup from smoked spare ribs.

Could make a nice pan sauce too, drop in some cold butter and whisk hard until emulsified.

Another option would be to use it as the base for your next rib braise instead of using chicken paste. A lot of restaurants make a weak stock from the strained solid of their primary stock and use that as the base instead of water, that way you’re building on the flavor with every batch.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I would cook rice in the unreduced liquid.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I collect and save gelatinous stock from my braises whenever I can resist consuming them entirely with their origin dishes. I mostly use them as a sort of demi-glace, adding them to sauteed vegetables (especially mushrooms), tofu, post-saute pan sauces, rice, quinoa and pots of dried beans.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kind of comes down to what "can't" you use it for!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Even though I'm full, I feel hungry. I keep the stuff when I make ribs too - love to add about 1:4 or 5 fish sauce (fish sauce can be strong) and toss if over stir fry veg. Did use the stuff (fish sauce added) with a bunch of garlic cooked into it (strain if you like) as a Demi-glacé over some pork tenderloins for lunch at work this year - wonderful. I have some in the freezer, and got some nice crimini tonight - think I know what's going into some scrambled eggs for breakfast.