Favorite Cookbooks and/or Kitchen Related Literature

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
benslammin

Re: Favorite Cookbooks and/or Kitchen Related Literature

Post by benslammin »

The Complete Nose to Tail--Fergus Henderson
Heritage--Sean Brock

These aren't just full of great recipes, but great reads in general. I highly recommend them.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

mauichef wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:02 pm Some of my current favorites.....

The Flavor Bible - Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg
The Food Lab - J Kenji Alt-Lopez is The Man!
The Cooks Illustrated Cookbook.
Nom Nom Paleo - Michelle Tam and Henry Fong
Meathead - Meathead Goldwyn
Any of the Culinaria Series.
I am a Kenji disciple also.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

benslammin wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am The Complete Nose to Tail--Fergus Henderson
Heritage--Sean Brock

These aren't just full of great recipes, but great reads in general. I highly recommend them.
Just got The Complete Nose to Tail.
Awesome book.
I will have to check out Heritage.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Cooking Up A Storm, which has classic New Orleans recipes that people lost after Katrina is a great book. It was James Beard Award nominated
benslammin

Post by benslammin »

mauichef wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:15 pm
benslammin wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:28 am The Complete Nose to Tail--Fergus Henderson
Heritage--Sean Brock

Just got The Complete Nose to Tail.
Awesome book.
I will have to check out Heritage.
Yea I love how Henderson talks about cooking. Heritage is about 50/50 good for home cooking, but still a great read into southern cooking.
Next on my list is the Joe Beef cookbook. If you like barbecue, then I'd recommend the Franklin Barbecue book. Pretty cool stuff in that one, too.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Anyone a fan of "How to Cook Everything"?
Carter

Post by Carter »

keithmarder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 am Anyone a fan of "How to Cook Everything"?
I find it an excellent reference book, similar to "Joy of Cooking" and even Julia's Vol 1&2......not used so much for exact recipes, but good detailed general info.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Carter wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am
keithmarder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 am Anyone a fan of "How to Cook Everything"?
I find it an excellent reference book, similar to "Joy of Cooking" and even Julia's Vol 1&2......not used so much for exact recipes, but good detailed general info.
Thanks. I have been meaning to get it for ages.
Carter

Post by Carter »

keithmarder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am
I had several hundred cookbooks...when we moved to NC in 2016, I thinned the collection a little....."HCE" made the move wasn't even a question of letting it go.

Well known chef cookbooks are fun, useful (sometimes) and pretty...single subject books usually contain a wealth of limited info, but books like "JC" and "HCE" are fantastic overall reference volumes.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Carter wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am
keithmarder wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am

I had several hundred cookbooks...when we moved to NC in 2016, I thinned the collection a little....."HCE" made the move wasn't even a question of letting it go.

Well known chef cookbooks are fun, useful (sometimes) and pretty...single subject books usually contain a wealth of limited info, but books like "JC" and "HCE" are fantastic overall reference volumes.
Great insight. Thanks
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

atang wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am Ratio by Michael Ruhlman is a great quick reference for learning to cook without exact recipes. Neat book that has stuck with me through the years
I picked this up today and I don't know if I've ever read a more potentially valuable cookbook. It is brief, and to be honest it isn't horribly well written nor has it offered any incredible insights, but it would be an awesome first read for someone getting into cooking and a good read for an intermediate cook who has mastered some techniques but perhaps has trouble with flexibility and dexterity in the kitchen.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Lepus wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 pm
atang wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am Ratio by Michael Ruhlman is a great quick reference for learning to cook without exact recipes. Neat book that has stuck with me through the years
I picked this up today and I don't know if I've ever read a more potentially valuable cookbook. It is brief, and to be honest it isn't horribly well written nor has it offered any incredible insights, but it would be an awesome first read for someone getting into cooking and a good read for an intermediate cook who has mastered some techniques but perhaps has trouble with flexibility and dexterity in the kitchen.
+1 on Ratio....forgot i own it...need to revisit it.
Bbuth7575

Post by Bbuth7575 »

Carter wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:20 pm
Lepus wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 pm
+1 on Ratio....forgot i own it...need to revisit it.
I forgot I had this until just right now. Bought the hardcover shortly after leaving culinary school. They even had an app for it back in the day, but you have to pay for it. Nowadays I have the Kindle version, along with 111 other cookbooks, on my phone.
timos

Post by timos »

oooh ...technique, thats what i am trying to learn meself these days..ill have to check out ratio
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
work3fish4

Post by work3fish4 »

Flavor bible ++++
Reference Material
cjdilts

Post by cjdilts »

Flavor bible. Every chef must have. Most used book. I carry it everywhere. Best for getting the brain moving.

Soul of a new cuisine. Marcus Samuelson(?). Beautiful and most used at home.

All the Culinaria's. For regional history and it touches on classics.

Crossroads. I know its vegan (I'm not) but, as I dont understand, I actually enjoy pumping out bangin' vegan food on the fly. Options almost never on my menu.

Atlier Crenn. Good story. Such a unique chef.

Charcuterie. Another must have for chefs.

Food Lab. Great reference. This is a better version of professional chef.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

There is several copies of Marco’s White Heat on EBay. I just ordered one.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
LostHighway

Post by LostHighway »

This is great thread and I strongly endorse many of the prior recommendations, the essential Harold McGee in particular.
I'm probably something of an anomaly here as I'm nearly vegetarian (occasional fish and shellfish) and, relative to at least some here, a hack both in terms of both knife and cooking skills. What I think I share is a love of good food.
Missing (IMO) from the suggestions so far are Jeffrey Hamelman's Bread which I find at least as essential as Forkish, Robertson and Reinhart when it comes to bread baking. Samuel Fromhartz's In Search of the Perfect Loaf is another good bread read,more journalism than how-to but a bit of both.
I'm mildly surprised that the Ottolenghi books have not received a mention as I find them far above average,especially for celebrity chef cookbooks which I often find nearly useless.
I seem to have a moderately large collection of Italian cookbooks and since there has been a question in that regard I'll list a few I think have some merit. Marcella Hazan has already been mentioned but I find Waverly Root's The Food of Italy, Italian Cooking in the Grand Traditionby Jo Bettoja and Anna Maria Cornetto, and the Lynne Rossetto Kasper books, also worth a look. If you want to get farther into the weeds of historic Mediterranean cooking take a look Clifford Wright's A Mediterranean Feast. For narrowly Italian vegetarian cooking Jack Bishop and Viana La Place are good.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Pepin techniques. Great photos of how to prep, many of the techniques old school and looked over.

White heat has me intrigued. Gonna have to grab one.
Jypresnell

Post by Jypresnell »

On food and cooking
The flavor bible
The vegetarian flavor bible
Any of the Japanese culinary academy books
Culinary artistry
Ideas in food