Mushrooms

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Carter

Mushrooms

Post by Carter »

It has been about 9 months since we moved to N. Carolina from Florida and we are enjoying every moment of it. Last week I went to a local farmer's market and purchased a large bucket of local Chanterelles for a very reasonable amount.....I was happy and they were great. While walking my dogs this morning on our property, I found a large area filled with Chanterelles (yes, I did properly identify them) and we had them for dinner...all I can say is wow! I look forward to scouting out other areas of the property tomorrow for more bounty. I also found a very large mushroom that I think is part of the Chicken of the Woods family, not the best variety, but still edible....I am not eating it until I get further confirmation, but it looks promising.
Lepus

Re: Mushrooms

Post by Lepus »

You should pick up a copy of Victuals. It's a fascinating look at food in the Appalachians. It talks a lot about the foraging culture and has one anecdote in it about morels that is absolutely mind blowing.

My mother's family is from those parts and I talked to her about a lot of what the book discusses. She didn't consider that cuisine special or even worthwhile, which is a little sad because that's her food culture. I want to hear more of those stories.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks Lepus.....will definitely have to check it out.

Monica and I walked another part of the property yesterday afternoon and found these....for reference, the pan is 18" wide. Made a fricassee that we will enjoy for a few nights.

shevitz

Post by shevitz »

I love mushroom hunting. It's my absolute favorite outdoor activity in NM. You have to go above 10,400' to find Boletus. They only grow some years. The habitat is limited. We also get chanterelles and the occasional oyster mushroom. Everything has a season and a location...
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

With my lack of knowledge I would be scared to pick mushrooms. But boy oh boy do they look good.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

Whats a good reference book?
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Saw a doc regarding mushrooms. In Russia, the locals take what appear to be portobellos and put them in the sun, gills up. There is some sort of conversion that takes place, and in a few hours, the mushrooms become a very rich source of vitamin D, which is important at that latitude. I never knew that...
Mark8408

Post by Mark8408 »

I am in central Florida and we have a great supply of edible mushrooms around. I enjoy foraging, and my kids love it as well.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

Carter wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am Thanks Lepus.....will definitely have to check it out.

Monica and I walked another part of the property yesterday afternoon and found these....for reference, the pan is 18" wide. Made a fricassee that we will enjoy for a few nights.

So jealous, I love chanterelles but I guess I can't complain since my aunt and uncle's farm gets a lot of morels in every year.
Carter

Post by Carter »

HalfBloodHobbit wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:25 pm So jealous, I love chanterelles but I guess I can't complain since my aunt and uncle's farm gets a lot of morels in every year.
It's pretty cool to be able to go out and pick these mushroom. It is more fun that getting stuff out of the garden....guess it is more like hunting/fishing, no guarantees that we will find any. Next year I am going to hire a professional forager to come over and give us a better education on the mushrooms, I am sure there are many other edible species here...though I have not seen morels, bummer. We have at least 2 types of chanterelles and several of the chicken of the wood varieties. I would guess we have seen 30 different species here on the property.
Grandprix

Post by Grandprix »

I am super supportive of mushroom foraging. Such amazing treats to be had out there. I am jealous for sure.

Now the stern portion. Discipline is required. Taking common randomized abnormalities in size or slight coloration changes for granted gets folks in a world of trouble in a hurry. Always pay due diligence. It can be very hard to avoid overconfidence in identification born from complacency in gathering habits.

Enough dark speak on the subject. What a tremendous yield and wonderful sized specimens!! Enjoy and continue sharing.

Many a Chef try to bluff their knowledge of mushrooms. Even if they do not verbalize it, they appreciate and benefit from clear pictures and safe healthy foraging habits. Wonderful post!

Absolutley no shame in posting inquiries for ID or location specifics. Some deliberate spore cultivation and a solid GPS can do you wonders for natural temperate hidey holes for specific species of a given geography.

My apologies if I am hijacking. Such a great topic though. So many intimidated by the art of foraging because it is such an enigma to the masses.

Thank you, Chef.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Monica just found our first morel of the season....it was not in eating condition after 2" of rain yesterday, but certainly a good sign. Hope the warmer weather in the coming few days will produce some more by this weekend.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Your killing me!
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My son wants me to grow mushrooms. Get a decaying log, keep it under the part of my house on stilts. I might just give it a shot this year.

Those shrooms look awesome, Carter. And morels too? Very nice.
Last edited by jbart65 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeffry B
Carter

Post by Carter »

I thought about growing shiitakes, but has hasn't happened yet. We are novice mushroom foragers, the chanterelles and morels are some of the easier species to positively identify. We have a huge variety of mushrooms on the property, I am sure there are other edible species. I am going to have an experienced forager come over and give some instruction and take a look at our property.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Carter do you enjoy Ramps?
Take 2 ounces dried porcini and turn into dust.
Use this to make 1 pound of mushroom compound butter.

Take ramps, separate into bulbs and greens.
1/4 the bulbs.

Cast iron, smoking.
Add ramp bulbs and mushroom of choice. I use Chantelle or Hen of the woods
Salt lightly.
Roast hard in pan.
Turn off heat wilt in ramp tops
Finish with butter and squeeze of lemon.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Carter wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:31 pm I thought about growing shiitakes, but has hasn't happened yet. We are novice mushroom foragers, the chanterelles and morels are some of the easier species to positively identify. We have a huge variety of mushrooms on the property, I am sure there are other edible species. I am going to have an experienced forager come over and give some instruction and take a look at our property.
Did you know, it's illegal to forage on a national park?
Some kind park rangers relieved me of about 15 pounds of chanterelles on FDRs mansion in Hyde Park.
It's help if the woods had a barrier so I knew when I crossed over. Fully 2/3rds of those where collected off their property.
I bet the took them home and ate them.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Nmiller21k wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm Carter do you enjoy Ramps?
That sounds good, will have to try....ramps are coming in now here....I can get them at the farmer's market for about $3-$5 a bunch.

Our property is pretty good foraging grounds and there are nearby places that aren't protected.

I had the same thing happen with US Customs trying to take my goods. I was in the Bahamas and caught about 60 lobsters and flew back to Miami....Customs said they were illegal, I said no, the Bahamian season opened yesterday...they responded the season in Florida is not yet open...they wanted all the lobster. It took some negotiating by our pilot who knew the Customs boys....cost me about 10 lobsters and all was good. In the end all was good, I could spare the 10, but I thought I was losing all my bounty.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Carter wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:50 pm
Nmiller21k wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:40 pm Carter do you enjoy Ramps?
That sounds good, will have to try....ramps are coming in now here....I can get them at the farmer's market for about $3-$5 a bunch.

Our property is pretty good foraging grounds and there are nearby places that aren't protected.

I had the same thing happen with US Customs trying to take my goods. I was in the Bahamas and caught about 60 lobsters and flew back to Miami....Customs said they were illegal, I said no, the Bahamian season opened yesterday...they responded the season in Florida is not yet open...they wanted all the lobster. It took some negotiating by our pilot who knew the Customs boys....cost me about 10 lobsters and all was good. In the end all was good, I could spare the 10, but I thought I was losing all my bounty.

Last year out in Wisconsin I foraged about 90 pounds out of one field
Might go back this year
Carter

Post by Carter »

Nmiller21k wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 pm Last year out in Wisconsin I foraged about 90 pounds out of one field
Might go back this year
Can you use 90lbs or do you have to dry / give away a bunch of them? I guess morels dry ok, I've been told chanterelles are not so good as dried mushrooms.