Ribs 4 ways

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Robstreperous

Re: Ribs 4 ways

Post by Robstreperous »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 am I think it depends on the ribs. If I'm doing 20 racks of baby backs, there's always that one rack that fights back. My knife of choice for this task is a butter knife, but I've seen oyster knives used successfully. How are you going about your business pulling it?
Hey Jeff. Sounds like we do pretty much the same thing. Back of a butter knife. Scrape the back of a bone. Get a tab. Grab between thumb and forefinger.

Last night was a little odd for me. I don't do babybacks all that often and none of the 3 racks gave up so much as eyelashe's worth of anythign I could pull. I scored them and they came out ok. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago I did a couple racks of spares and it was easy as pie.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:16 am
jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:24 am I think it depends on the ribs. If I'm doing 20 racks of baby backs, there's always that one rack that fights back. My knife of choice for this task is a butter knife, but I've seen oyster knives used successfully. How are you going about your business pulling it?
Hey Jeff. Sounds like we do pretty much the same thing. Back of a butter knife. Scrape the back of a bone. Get a tab. Grab between thumb and forefinger.

Last night was a little odd for me. I don't do babybacks all that often and none of the 3 racks gave up so much as eyelashe's worth of anythign I could pull. I scored them and they came out ok. Just 3 or 4 weeks ago I did a couple racks of spares and it was easy as pie.
For a while now Costco baby backs haven’t had the membrane. I also find the membrane can protect the meat from the heat. The membrane peels off effortlessly after cooking.
Hmirchev

Post by Hmirchev »

I bought some ribs to try out with the mustard + molasses combo, but I haven't had time :( taking 6 classes this semester + working full time + helping to coach swimming twice a week :(
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

Man these all sound amazing. One thing I've done is to put bacon strips covering the top surface of the slabs. I use dry rub like normal, then use toothpicks inserted at an angle through bacon on the outside. It cooks about the same rate as the ribs and is amazing. Quite different tasting than normal bacon.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

For spare ribs, country style ribs or beef short ribs I love my immersion circulator, renders fat and breaks down collagen even better than a slow smoke and the leftover liquid can make for a bomb pan sauce or even a quick demi.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

HalfBloodHobbit wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:51 pm For spare ribs, country style ribs or beef short ribs I love my immersion circulator, renders fat and breaks down collagen even better than a slow smoke and the leftover liquid can make for a bomb pan sauce or even a quick demi.
While I agree with your statement about the pro’s of SV, I would rather have the bark generated in my Kamado joe ceramic grill. You can always get a hybrid cooking effect by wrapping the meat in foil with a flavorful liquid.
HalfBloodHobbit

Post by HalfBloodHobbit »

Oh for sure for baby back ribs the grill is best hands down I prefer to finish on there when possible. But SV is a good option when you don't have a smoker or grill
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Hmirchev wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 pmWhat kind of mustard do you use? Just plain yellow?
Given your list of spices I'd think Coleman's English Mustard might be right up your alley. Buy it dry and make it fresh using whatever liquid you think would lend itself to the rest of your recipe.