Brisket.

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Robstreperous

Brisket.

Post by Robstreperous »

Perfect Day.

65*. No Wind. Went on about an hour ago and my temps are nice and stable.

Last edited by Robstreperous on Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bensbites

Re: Brisket.

Post by Bensbites »

I love a good brisket. Do you rub? Sauce?
easilver

Post by easilver »

That's a nice cut! Can't wait for the "after" photos.

Is that a Doi or an Ikeda?

A couple weeks ago I experimented on a similar brisket: salt + pepper => vacuum seal => sous-vide at 135* for 48 hrs => ice bath then fridge. Sliced next day and made onion+wine sauce, poured over sliced brisket then in 350* oven for 45 minutes. Served it at a family dinner. Big hit. The texture was similar to a tender NY strip--you could cut it with a fork. Next time I will split-off the flat and point to cook separately, but this is the new family holiday dinner recipe.
Last edited by easilver on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed in L.A.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Yeah so this one was rubbed Thursday night. No salt (seriously!) chili sugar some other stuff.

Normally I leave the point attached but I've got to hurry this one and removing it cuts the cook time significantly.

Plan is to pull the flat at 195 and hold then slice.

The point gets pulled and cubed at 195* then back on the smoker for an hour or two then sauced and onto the grill to crisp up. [ Sort of a hybrid burnt ends. ] Looking forward to seeing how the Doi does while cubing. Not really what I'd call a slicer but something tells me it's going to be pretty good. And think of the patina!

2 hours in and meat's at 145. So far so good.

Hey Ed. That sous vide you posted above. Did you do that with a brisket? BTW. It's a Doi.
easilver

Post by easilver »

It was a brisket.

Grandma would make holiday brisket by sprinkling a packet of onion soup mix over a flat-cut brisket then pouring Concord grape wine on top. Foil-cover and cook at 350 for 2 hours. Not exactly an old family recipe from the Shetl. My mom kept up the "tradition". I took over the holiday brisket when my mom turned 80, but went with better ingredients.

This is the fist year I did the sous-vide. Tried one with the onions and sauce in the bag and another with just salt and pepper. The S&P was much better--clean meat flavor, which made a great stock for the sauce.

My wife loves BBQ brisket, but I don't have a smoker, so I may try to add some liquid smoke, pepper, and pink-salt to the bag and sous vide. Overnight rest then BBQ rub and grill. May need to experiment with the sous vide temp and time to get the consistency right.
Ed in L.A.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I'm excited to see more. I've never even thought to try a no salt rub.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:01 am I'm excited to see more. I've never even thought to try a no salt rub.
It's a little unorthodox but need to respect some of the health restrictions of my guests. I'm compensating by adding mustard / pepper and extra fresh ground guajillo - ancho to the rub.

A little worried about lack of bark so no chance this is gonna get foiled.

5 hours in and nicely stalled at 165. Go baby go. Need to pull in 2 to 4 hours.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Have you ever thought about going the with a ceramic grill?
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:20 pm Have you ever thought about going the with a ceramic grill?
From time to time. Especially when I'm trying to smoke something and it's like 0 Degrees out. Maybe some day. But for now I've been smoking so long on my Bullet I've gotten things dialed in to the point I can pretty much put it on auto pilot or, when necessary, make adjustments on the fly without too much thought.

If I was starting from scratch I might do it since it would take the place of a smoker and a grill. But for now it's kind of an expensive overlap. Never know. Maybe someday.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Point sliced and ready for cubing.

Cubed and dusted.

Magic sauced now back to the smoker.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Approved
nevrknow