Tonight's Beer

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
ashy2classy

Re: Tonight's Beer

Post by ashy2classy »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm Here in Chicago, there is now a brew pub on every street corner trying to sell you a 8-10 dollar pint. It’s getting so played out now. I’m back to my 2 dollar high life’s and couldn’t be happier.
Bah! I'll never go back! :lol:

Tonight's beer...
FunkSilentDisco.jpg
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

This was a gift and my first porter of the season. Burial Beer Co.'s Skullsaw. For clarity, this is one can.

I have recently started to better appreciate the good stuff and I don't actually drink that much beer, so only novel beer for me. I don't often buy the same beer more than once these days.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

C'mon folks...there's gotta be more people drinking beer than this! :lol:
BlizzardOfHops.jpg
J david

Post by J david »

My favorite of the 5 breweries within 5 miles of me.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

ashy2classy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:08 pm C'mon folks...there's gotta be more people drinking beer than this! :lol:

BlizzardOfHops.jpg
I love craft beer and this thread. For whatever reason, it just came at a time when i wasnt drinking too much beer and the few times i did i just forgot to post.
timos

Post by timos »

bad pic but this is a nice little cranberry lambic style brewed by flying dreams for their 2 year anniversary
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Looks tasty Tim!
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Nice to see a lot of local beers on this thread! Local to the poster, I mean.

Not locals, but what I've been drinking recently. SN Celebration Ale is possibly my favorite "normal" seasonal release this time of year. I've been on a double IPA kick too, and the Crooked Stave offering is different from the others I've been drinking. Cloudy and fruit bowly...

BioDiver

Post by BioDiver »

Glad I don't have work tomorrow:

J david

Post by J david »

timos

Post by timos »

Well the wife wants to make our maiden voyage to Tree House brewery and then hit the spa for her birthday celebration this weekend. I cant say no to that! Many say that tree house Julius is the finest IPA in the world...I will let you guys know what i think.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

E111B7E8-D3CC-4AE8-B6C0-F8083356B1AD.jpeg
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I was a home brewer for 10 years in my younger days. Made some amazing stuff. Eventually stopped once I became more of a wine drinker, but I still like to try all the new stuff hitting the market. I do tastings every week and buy something new every week or two.

My latest: Image
Jeffry B
J david

Post by J david »

Chicagohawkie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:40 pm E111B7E8-D3CC-4AE8-B6C0-F8083356B1AD.jpeg
I don't believe you. It doesn't count unless you take the pic. :D I prefer Colt 45 myself, more bang for the buck, pun intended.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:49 am I was a home brewer for 10 years in my younger days. Made some amazing stuff. Eventually stopped once I became more of a wine drinker, but I still like to try all the new stuff hitting the market. I do tastings every week and buy something new every week or two.

My latest: Image
I want some of that.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

J david wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 am
Chicagohawkie wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:40 pm E111B7E8-D3CC-4AE8-B6C0-F8083356B1AD.jpeg
I don't believe you. It doesn't count unless you take the pic. :D I prefer Colt 45 myself, more bang for the buck, pun intended.
Ha! I’ve been drinking MHL for quite some time. The older I get I do get out with friends and have some special beers occasionally and they are sometimes very pleasant beers. What gets me though are the hordes of turd crushers who seemingly all talk about these otherworldly experiences they are haveing while drinking these beers. The things that are important nowadays just baffles me.
timos

Post by timos »

Ahh see.. we use to drink the Steelys or Steel Reserve 40's. Two of those and a couple burgers off the dollar menu , that was a friday night...and saturday, and probably sunday too haha.
I do still drink miller light though, yes I do.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I didn't have time for more than one grocery store today, so Aldi beer it is.

It is decidedly okay. The price on it is right.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Budweiser and Miller are perfectly fine beers. Coors too. I drank a poolful of that stuff when I was young.

I'd never drink one these days, though, unless it was the only beer available. Just so much stuff out there these days that is better and often fresher (yes, freshness matters). Nor do you have to pay an arm and a torso.

Sure, there's some crazy stuff going on, and some crazy prices. It will eventually pass.

I am generally a purist, a German beer law adherent. Just give me water, grain, yeast and hops - but not too much hops.

Even the peppercorn-tinged beer I showed is in that category. The peppercorn influence would not be detectable by the unsuspecting. Just takes like a damn good beer.

As for hops, I am a chile head but not a hophead. Most beers hitting the market - the avalanche of IPs and pale ales - are imbalanced. Too bitter at the back end and not as versatile with food as pilsners, lagers, ales and saisons.

My rule of thumb is, if I won't drink it on a very hot day or I can't drink two in one sitting, it's not for me.

Usually I can tell if the beer is advertising its IBU in big letters.
Jeffry B
Carter

Post by Carter »

We went to Sierra Nevada for lunch today. Food is great and the brewery is and outstanding facility. It is about 20 minutes from the house, just outside of Asheville. My boys each got 2 flights of 4 beers each, they were happy....dad got to taste most of their selections. I had the Celebration and Porter for my main choices. Anyway, a neat lunch getaway during the week. I would recommend a visit for anyone traveling near Asheville. You can do a fairly quick self guided walk through the brewery or do a guided tour, but reservations need to be made weeks in advance most of the time.

As with some of the others, I do enjoy a Bud or Miller occasionally....always seems like an old friend. I am not a big IPA or extra hoppy beer guy....tend to prefer German styles and English ales.