It takes a tough man to make a tender loin.

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Robstreperous

It takes a tough man to make a tender loin.

Post by Robstreperous »

Trimmed out this tenderloin for chateaubriand tomorrow --- salted and air drying now for tomorrow night....

Haven't decided whether to do a bearnaise or pan reduction. I will be doing a reverse sear however.

Bensbites

Re: It takes a tough man to make a tender loin.

Post by Bensbites »

Nice!
slobound

Post by slobound »

Awesome
-- Garrick
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Nailed it. Fantastic crust, full of juice and nice consistent medium rare all the way through.

I am a full convert: Got tenderloin? Reverse sear is the only way to go.

gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Approved.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

Very nice browning. The first time I did a reverse sear was a Christmas prime rib. I didn't know what a reverse sear was, I did it out of necessity, as the crowd that I was cooking for preferred their meat towards medium/well done. I think it sinful to cook a nice cut of meat under high temps; anything over 275 ruins the texture. To cook a prime rib to 138, the exterior is not going to have the aesthetics of a browned piece of meat, seared first without the outer band of meat turning grey, and that shit is just icky.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

I still am not sure what reverse sear is but I'm jumping on the band wagon. DAMN!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

nevrknow wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:58 pm I still am not sure what reverse sear is but I'm jumping on the band wagon. DAMN!
Sorry.

You do the searing after roasting instead of before and roast at a low temperature. Allows you to do the roast at a low and slow temperature but still get a nice crust. It also keeps the outer portions of the roast from becoming overcooked. I picked this idea up from Serious Eats.

- Salt and pepper the roast and leave out unwrapped in refrigerator at least overnight.
- 225* F oven took this particular roast up to 132* F in 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven rest.
- Heat a cast iron pan to a higher heat.
- Add tenderloin to pan along with 2T butter a large sliced shallot and a couple of sprigs of Thyme. Sear on all sides spooning butter and shallots over roast.
- Remove tenderloin to board. Rest 5 minutes and carve.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Rob,

Thanks for the details of the reverse sear process. I need to give this a try with a Tri Tip next week.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Thanks for the recipe. Doing this next time I get home
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

You the think the reverse sear is nice, wait until you try sous vide. Perfect every time, no guess work, very little monitoring.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm You the think the reverse sear is nice, wait until you try sous vide. Perfect every time, no guess work, very little monitoring.
Doesn't sous vide leave the outside of the meat wet? Can't sear a wet surface. Or do you sear it and then do the sous vide?
fujiyama

Post by fujiyama »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 pm
Bensbites wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:59 pm You the think the reverse sear is nice, wait until you try sous vide. Perfect every time, no guess work, very little monitoring.
Doesn't sous vide leave the outside of the meat wet? Can't sear a wet surface. Or do you sear it and then do the sous vide?

During the cook, the protein is sealed so it does not actually make contact with the water. Therefor it shouldn't be wet. If it was, you could pat dry with paper towel.

You can sear before or after the sous vide bath. Searing before is not usually beneficial, though. Depends who you ask. I don't have enough experience here to determine..

Very nice tenderloin, by the way!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 pm
I open the package, remove the meat from the liquid and dry the surface with a paper towel. Throw that on a screaming hot grill or CI surface. Some people will just deep fry... whatever it takes to get a crispy crust.
timos

Post by timos »

wow, that looks awesome...Im thinking ill try and talk the family into this for thanksgiving , forget the turkey.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
fujiyama

Post by fujiyama »

You can also reserve the sous vide juices, they make a great sauce!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

fujiyama wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 am You can also reserve the sous vide juices, they make a great sauce!
I've been interested in sous vide for some time now but at least as far as my house goes it's an academic discussion. Heightened awareness of BPAs and plastic chemicals potentially leaching into the food (rational or not) from various family members.... not worth the fight.

As it relates specifically to a tenderloin I suppose I'm also a little skeptical. Doesn't feel to me like cooking in a high humidity environment with the meat sitting in its own juice followed by a towel dry is going to prepare the surface as well as an overnight salted air dry followed by a long roast.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not casting shade at the sous vide method. I'm certain it produces an excellent roast. I'm simply a 100% dyed in the wool unashamed outspoken evangelistic crust snob!
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am
fujiyama wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 am You can also reserve the sous vide juices, they make a great sauce!
I've been interested in sous vide for some time now but at least as far as my house goes it's an academic discussion. Heightened awareness of BPAs and plastic chemicals potentially leaching into the food (rational or not) from various family members.... not worth the fight.

As it relates specifically to a tenderloin I suppose I'm also a little skeptical. Doesn't feel to me like cooking in a high humidity environment with the meat sitting in its own juice followed by a towel dry is going to prepare the surface as well as an overnight salted air dry followed by a long roast.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not casting shade at the sous vide method. I'm certain it produces an excellent roast. I'm simply a 100% dyed in the wool unashamed outspoken evangelistic crust snob!
For what it’s worth, I too am concerned about plastic leaching. Food saver bags are all nylon, no additives. Nothing to leach.
Georgek

Post by Georgek »

Robstreperous wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:01 am
We have tested quite a few sous vide films and did not see any migration of film compounds into food simulants for up to 10 days of storage.
Most (if not all) sous vide films do not require BPA as an additive in their original composition to begin with :)
gladius

Post by gladius »

Georgek wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:38 amWe have tested quite a few sous vide films and did not see any migration of film compounds into food simulants for up to 10 days of storage.
Most (if not all) sous vide films do not require BPA as an additive in their original composition to begin with :)
-----
It is not just BPA's but other chemical components in plastic are harmful. (none of us want cancer or shrunken gonads - you won't be a tough man anymore)

ref. https://www.naturalnews.com/030092_phth ... stics.html