Chili season has arrived

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
snipes

Chili season has arrived

Post by snipes »

Well the mrs. put in her first request for chili earlier in the week and I'm too happy to oblige. I will be stopping by the butcher on the way home to have them grind me 3 lbs. of coarse ground beef. The neighbor gave me a ghost pepper from his garden last night...we'll see if I ruin things with it. :lol:
Robstreperous

Re: Chili season has arrived

Post by Robstreperous »

:lol: Good luck.....

I know you know what you're doing but can I make an unsolicited suggestion with that ghost pepper in you're not used to working with them?

Grind it up to a paste, add a little oil and add the emulsion gradually starting wherever you'd normally do it during your recipe and then gradually until you've got all the heat you want during each of your dumps.

I'd ruined so many good cooks before a friend taught me that trick.

That is, of course, unless you're daring and unafraid...... :o
timos

Post by timos »

mmmmm yes, I have a a few different dried peppers I am going to make a paste with after rehydrate them in chicken stock. I dont make real chili though I like putting beans in mine:) Got a bag of red kidneys and some peeled plum tomatoes.
Chili is my chief source of fiber this time of year :) I have been thinking about doing a venison chili next and maybe adding a little pork fat.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

timos wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 am I have been thinking about doing a venison chili next and maybe adding a little pork fat.
Ever try a little juniper berry with it? Definitely a different kind of taste --- but it works. Kill the tomatoes, white beans the rest is up to you.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

A friend who works in a bean plant just sent me a bunch of bags of locally grown beans. Can't wait to get some chili going.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Robstreperous wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am :lol: Good luck.....

I know you know what you're doing but can I make an unsolicited suggestion with that ghost pepper in you're not used to working with them?

Grind it up to a paste, add a little oil and add the emulsion gradually starting wherever you'd normally do it during your recipe and then gradually until you've got all the heat you want during each of your dumps.

I'd ruined so many good cooks before a friend taught me that trick.

That is, of course, unless you're daring and unafraid...... :o
Rob, excellent advice. I imagine we all must learn the hard way. My original plan was to use 3/4 of the pepper in the chili and add the remaining to a fresh quart jar of salsa I made last weekend. Well as I was staring at the lonely piece of pepper I felt sorry for it and minced it up as well and added it to the pot. I just tasted the chili about 30 minutes into the simmer and while the flavors still have to marry, I did not fall over dead. Which gave my wife enough confidence to not order Thai....
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^ Brave man or is that lucky? *wink*
snipes

Post by snipes »

Finished dinner. The chili had a nice full mouth heat, nothing over the top, but towards the end of the second bowl I could get a sense of the nastiness awaiting after an overnight melding in the fridge. Tomorrow's version I expect to be a different animal.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Jason H sent me some scorpion, red sabina and reapers last week. I used a single savina in a stir fry last night with about 2lbs of beef and a lot of veggies.

It was right where it needed to be heat wise. Today at lunch? Forget about it. Haaaahhhtttt!
Carter

Post by Carter »

Chili is on the menu today. Hand chopping some chuck and some pork shoulder....have pasillas, fresh poblano, serrano, ghost and cayenne....not going for super hot, just a nice build up of different flavors and heat levels.
supersharp

Post by supersharp »

Beans arrived! Now to smoke some chilies and get the party started.
timos

Post by timos »

Did a blend of molasses, coffee, chocolate, ground beef, pulled chicken, pickled jalapeno, some long skinny dried red peppers, large dark purple peppers, chicken stock, red kidneys, pintos, black beans, garlic, cumin, coriander, freshly dried oregeno, am i forgetting something? I must be, anyway....what a nice surprise of complexity and a slow fruity building heat. There was not too much chicken I just added it b/c it was in the fridge, turned out to be not horrible! lol
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
snipes

Post by snipes »

Carter wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:21 am Chili is on the menu today. Hand chopping some chuck and some pork shoulder....have pasillas, fresh poblano, serrano, ghost and cayenne....not going for super hot, just a nice build up of different flavors and heat levels.
How did the chili turn out Carter?
Carter

Post by Carter »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi Brad....it was good...I do like the cubed meat, but I am not a chili purist....tomatoes and beans were included. It had well developed flavor from the cooked chiles as well as a mix of cayenne, serrano, and ghost that were chopped for a fresh chile sprinkling. It was not as fatty as if I had used 80/20, so although I probably ate more that I should have....no food hangover the next morning.

We got down to about 28F Sunday night....pretty much killed my chile plants....I have picked the remaining fruit and will dry and grind it over the weekend. Fortunately, I moved 2 cayennes, 1 each of ghost and serrano from the garden and put them in pots in the greenhouse before the freeze hit....will see how they fare.
Carter

Post by Carter »

snipes wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:10 pm
Carter wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:21 am Chili is on the menu today. Hand chopping some chuck and some pork shoulder....have pasillas, fresh poblano, serrano, ghost and cayenne....not going for super hot, just a nice build up of different flavors and heat levels.
Hi Brad....it was good...I do like the cubed meat, but I am not a chili purist....tomatoes and beans were included. It had well developed flavor from the cooked chiles as well as a mix of cayenne, serrano, and ghost that were chopped for a fresh chile sprinkling. It was not as fatty as if I had used 80/20, so although I probably ate more that I should have....no food hangover the next morning.

We got down to about 28F Sunday night....pretty much killed my chile plants....I have picked the remaining fruit and will dry and grind it over the weekend. Fortunately, I moved 2 cayennes, 1 each of ghost and serrano from the garden and put them in pots in the greenhouse before the freeze hit....will see how they fare.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

A good friend of mine has the greenest thumb when it comes to chilies and I am happy to be a benefactor.

Habaneros, tabascos, cayennes, jalapenos, sweet bells, macintosh apples and garlic into the oven to roast.

Once seeded into a blender with smoked salt, sherry vinegar, honey and apple sauce.

It's quite hot and the yellow hue is from the habaeros so I temper it with more apple sauce till my tongue doesn't go numb :lol:

I've made half a gallon so far and gave lots to friends and froze four half pints and still have a pint left. Oh and bottom round is $1.79/lb with coupon this week so I'm making chili.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Mike that base looks fantastic. Hope the chili turns out well.
b11lf

Post by b11lf »

Just made some two days ago. Not for the chili purist... especially how it served, but that's my favorite way!

b11lf wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 pm If you insist!

hot off the press,
it 'twas the time of year again for my day after Christmas Chili

tried tossing in brisket this year - was going to let it go for 5 to 6 hours, but ended up letting it simmer for 9+ hours :drool:

Imageingrediants for gods chili by B1LF, on Flickr

Imagearbys we got the meats by B1LF, on Flickr

added a habanero this year, as well as these red peppers (what are they called? they were really hottt) - also added a few good squirts of that habanero sauce later during the testing / spices phase

Imageheat by B1LF, on Flickr

not too sure when this was taken, but I think it was pretty early on, probably right after I added the beans and corn, which I do after an hour or two

Imagesomewhere into the 9 hour simmer by B1LF, on Flickr

always put buttered pasta shells on the bottom of the bowl (about 1/3 pasta, then fill with chili, then top with a solid layer of sharp cheddar cheese, oyster crackers partially crushed, sour cream, and green onion --- no fresh chives available this year).

Imagebuttered shells by B1LF, on Flickr

result - not very picture worthy in terms of 0 visibility of the actual chili - was drooling over this and didn't snap a pic with a proper spoonful. whoops

Imagebowl o goodness by B1LF, on Flickr

Best part about making chili is the seasoning/tasting/stir - check back & taste - season more stir - etc, process.

I ended up adding a ton of extra heat - I love the idea above about charring up some peppers and blending them; then having that on hand to add to the pot.
timos

Post by timos »

good call....gonna do a chili this weekend ...I will do a white turkey chili and the wife will do a venison chili, then we will ...gulp... combine them! I love the idea of layering some buttered noodles on the bottom...fantastic!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
b11lf

Post by b11lf »

timos wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:48 pm good call....gonna do a chili this weekend ...I will do a white turkey chili and the wife will do a venison chili, then we will ...gulp... combine them! I love the idea of layering some buttered noodles on the bottom...fantastic!
I suggest “shells” (what’s actually written on the box).. because they serve as little canoes that fill up with chili

:)

Venison chili *drool*