Sous vide pork loin

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
slobound

Sous vide pork loin

Post by slobound »

I'm just a novice at home cook but I recently bought an Anova sous vide. I've used it a few times now and really liked the pork loin I seared off in the big green egg.

Anyone else using a sous vide around here?

-- Garrick
Bensbites

Re: Sous vide pork loin

Post by Bensbites »

Yes, and I like to finish it off on my kamado joe...

I think SV shines on lean protein. I still prefer low and slow on the Kamado when I want to tenderize and form bark.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm Yes, and I like to finish it off on my kamado joe...

I think SV shines on lean protein. I still prefer low and slow on the Kamado when I want to tenderize and form bark.
Nice, you have a KJ. I think I really want to pick up a Joe Jr at some point.

Completely agreed, there's no way the SV would take the place of low & slow on a brisket or pork butt.
-- Garrick
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I use a Sous vide several times a week. Agree on the brisket. The Anova is Fantastic. The porchetta we had for Christmas was the best I have ever eaten.
Love my sous vide for venison, steaks and pork chops too.
slobound

Post by slobound »

mauichef wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm I use a Sous vide several times a week. Agree on the brisket. The Anova is Fantastic. The porchetta we had for Christmas was the best I have ever eaten.
Oh... now that's a great idea. It didn't even cross my mind to do porchetta with the SV. Thanks for the great idea!
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

slobound wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm
Bensbites wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:20 pm Yes, and I like to finish it off on my kamado joe...

Completely agreed, there's no way the SV would take the place of low & slow on a brisket or pork butt.
I have a BigJoe and a Jr. I was told I am getting one of the new releases by the owner. We will see when that shows up. I also help moderate the Kamadoguru forum.
slobound

Post by slobound »

Bensbites wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:04 pm
slobound wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm

I have a BigJoe and a Jr. I was told I am getting one of the new releases by the owner. We will see when that shows up. I also help moderate the Kamadoguru forum.
Nice, I use a large BGE and wanted to stay in the BGE family but there have been too many bad reviews on the minimax for me to consider it. I've only heard good things about the Jr and it would give me flexibility to cook at 2 different temps. I've seen some of the improvements listed for the KJ new release and they look like good. I'll have to check out the Kamadoguru forum.
-- Garrick
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

slobound wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:03 pm
mauichef wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:56 pm I use a Sous vide several times a week. Agree on the brisket. The Anova is Fantastic. The porchetta we had for Christmas was the best I have ever eaten.
Oh... now that's a great idea. It didn't even cross my mind to do porchetta with the SV. Thanks for the great idea!
OK mate.
You just have to do this one.
It is bloody amazing :shock:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/the- ... hetta.html
Enjoy!!!!!
slobound

Post by slobound »

mauichef wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm
OK mate.
Enjoy!!!!!
Oh man, Maui! I just bookmarked the link and I'm going to give that a try in the near future. Thank you!
-- Garrick
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

My pleasure mate.
I made 2 and put one in the freezer. You just inspired me to thaw it out and throw it in the deep frier :D
slobound

Post by slobound »

Now we're talking... you had one in waiting. Brilliant!
-- Garrick
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

mauichef wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm
OK mate.
Enjoy!!!!!
I did a similar one just after turkey day. It was awesome, full disclosure, I seared it on the grill.

My buddy who followed the recipe exactly loved it.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

This recipe looks fantastic. Just got my first sous vide, and this is the kind of thing I've hoped to make. Many thanks for posting.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Agreed! Haven't had a chance to use mine either yet, but this sounds delicious.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
easilver

Post by easilver »

I got an Anova for Xmas and have been experimenting with it since. This weekend, cooking steaks for 12 for my father-in-law's birthday. Got a Prime NY roast. Plan to cut it into 1½" thick steaks, but don't know how big to make them 6oz? Anyone have a suggestion?

I've only done salt & pepper for Sous Vide steaks, but am considering adding aromatics. Anyone try Bay leaf, Thyme, and/or Rosemary? Don't know if this will detract or improve.

Did a pork tenderloin last weekend and it came out great. Really want to try a pork shoulder.
Ed in L.A.
slobound

Post by slobound »

easilver wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am I got an Anova for Xmas and have been experimenting with it since. This weekend, cooking steaks for 12 for my father-in-law's birthday. Got a Prime NY roast. Plan to cut it into 1½" thick steaks, but don't know how big to make them 6oz? Anyone have a suggestion?

I've only done salt & pepper for Sous Vide steaks, but am considering adding aromatics. Anyone try Bay leaf, Thyme, and/or Rosemary? Don't know if this will detract or improve.

Did a pork tenderloin last weekend and it came out great. Really want to try a pork shoulder.
Hey Ed, I'm no expert in SV but I've done some ribeyes with some meath church rub, butter, and rosemary. They turned out fantastic! I'll see if I can find a pic, I know it's on my phone somewhere.
-- Garrick
slobound

Post by slobound »

Here it is...
-- Garrick
Jaxson

Post by Jaxson »

I just received my Anova a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.
easilver

Post by easilver »

Jaxson wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:06 pm I just received my Anova a couple of days ago. Haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Congrats. You'll enjoy it. I salt and pepper 1½" steaks and sous vide at 133 degrees for 4 hours. Then finish on a hot Barbeque. Exceptional.

Try pork ribs! Season & sous vide 155 degrees for 24 hours then finish on the grill. Yum!
Ed in L.A.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

4 hours seems quite long. We do ours for 1-2 hours at 133 and they are perfect.