Smoker advice needed...

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
jbart65

Re: Smoker advice needed...

Post by jbart65 »

For years I thought about building my own brick oven in the backyard. I've been making pizza regularly for years. Always make my own sauce and dough. I grill pizza directly, too, and it comes out well. And even though I can get a pizza crispy in my electric oven with a pizza stone, it lacks the pizza-oven effect. I think I am going to give the Kettle Pizza device a shot.

On smokers: My bother uses a pellitized smoker. I think it's a Masterbuilt. Works very well.

I've go a charcoal and electric smoker and they both work fine. Always wanted to get an offset, but smoked foods aren't especially popular in my household. I usually use my electric for overnight pork shoulder since I don't want to get up. It's got a huge waterbowl that I fill up so I don't have to fill it. at 3 am. Cooking takes a bit longer but that's fine.

When I use the electric, I mixed wood and hardwood briquets to mimic the flavor and aroma of my charcoal smoker. It's almost impossible to tell the difference. Cheating? In the eyes of the beholder!
Jeffry B
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 pm Rob....Yep...I can get the temp up to 800+ with the Kettle Pizza attached......
https://www.kettlepizza.com
It might not be the absolute best solution but I have no need or space for a dedicated oven.
I can cook a pizza in less than 5 minutes.
Sorry to ask again Ray but are you doing that on a Weber Kettle or a Weber Bullet? If you've found a way to get a Bullet up to 800* F (OK. even 650* I know it gets hot where you live :mrgreen: ) I'm all in right away.
No worries Rob.
It is a WSM. 22 inch.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Interesting discussion however, I don't ever see the need to cook pizza in a 22" Weber Smokey Mountain my pizza stone in a hot oven does just fine. For comparison sakes the Weber WSM 22" is $299 compared to other units costing many times that amount with little or no performance gains. If your going to invest in a smoker you should look at what you get for your hard earned dollar.

I think a brick pizza oven would be another interesting topic for discussion.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My oven does fine, but if I am doing more than one pizza, I can't get all the crusts crackling crisp.
Jeffry B
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Bensbites wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 am If all you want is a quick sear, light up a charcoal chimney, and add a cooking grate on top.
If you want to do one piece at a time, instead of everything you can fit on a grill.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am@Jason (The Original Poster) There's a website: AmazingRib.com He posts some excellent well thought out reviews on smokers and equipment. Knows what he's talking about. Think it might be worth a look for you. https://amazingribs.com/
Thank you for sharing this website. I love the ratings and reviews they have and now have a Weber Premium 26" in the mail. Amazing how well it was rated compared to much more expensive options.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jason H wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:08 pm
Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am@Jason (The Original Poster) There's a website: AmazingRib.com He posts some excellent well thought out reviews on smokers and equipment. Knows what he's talking about. Think it might be worth a look for you. https://amazingribs.com/
Thank you for sharing this website. I love the ratings and reviews they have and now have a Weber Premium 26" in the mail. Amazing how well it was rated compared to much more expensive options.
I have felt like meadhead’s reviews lean in ways I disagree with. I also have issues with the way he explains food science and the “experiments” he talks about.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I just got done checking out that Weber Smoky Mountain smoker on youtube etc. If I had not already bought an electric smoker a few years ago,then this Weber is the one I would get.They have three different sizes so it is easy to fit one's needs.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

No Big Green Egg guys on the forum?
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

keithmarder wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am No Big Green Egg guys on the forum?
I am a Kamado Joe guy... same cooker (I think better) different brand.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:44 am
keithmarder wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:22 am No Big Green Egg guys on the forum?
I am a Kamado Joe guy... same cooker (I think better) different brand.
I have heard that and definitely a more Badass name
J david

Post by J david »

I have a Primo. Made right up the road from me and the only ceramic smoker made in the USA.
Dmiller

Post by Dmiller »

My wife and I are looking to buy a place and I am planning on buying a smoker once we do. I’ve mostly been looking at the Kamado Joe and the Yoder YS480. Pellet smokers seem so convenient
JessieMosley

Post by JessieMosley »

Can anyone advise me? How do I build my own vertical smoker?
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Another vote for the Weber Smokey Mountain if you don't want the expense/complexity of a Traeger or similar auger feed smoker.

The WSM is much lower effort than a traditional offset smoker and produces great results IMO for roughly half the cost. The controlled / auger fed systems work great and are truly low effort also!

The pizza oven attachments are very interesting...