Smoker advice needed...

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Jason H

Smoker advice needed...

Post by Jason H »

My smoker finally bit the dust and I can’t repair it with sheet metal anymore. I love smoking food and am looking for something with automatic feed like a Traeger. Any good ideas on how I can smoke meat without all the hassle of constantly adding charcoal or wood manually? I don’t need anything commercial, usually don’t smoke more than 10 pounds at a time.

Thanks!
Bensbites

Re: Smoker advice needed...

Post by Bensbites »

I am a total Kamado Joe fan boy. That would be another forum with a different goal. I have fun mine on a load of charcoal for 20 hrs smoking a whole packet and still had plenty of lump left over.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Been using the same Weber Bullet for 14 years now. If I'm looking to hold 225 to 235*F in 50+ degree temperature I can easily go 15 hours on a full ring of lump charcoal.

Your bigger issue with a bullet would be refilling your water pan if you decide to use water. Haven't timed it recently. I'd guess you can only get about 6 to 8 hours.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Look up the snake method for charcoal.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

+1 on the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker. Load a tray with charcoal and some wood chunks, add 15 to 20 lit pieces of charcoal on top and set the bottom vents (you will get to know how open you need for any given temperature) and your good to go up to 20 hours at low (200 - 230*F). The newer models have a larger water pan and I've done brisket overnight without having to add water.
bish0p

Post by bish0p »

Build your own ugly drum smoker (UDS) made from a 55 gallon steel drum. The Weber Smokey Mountain and Pit Barrel Cooker are knock offs.

The vertical smoker made from a steel drum has been around very long time - longer than the other two.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Ourorboros wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:31 pm Look up the snake method for charcoal.
True. There's also something called The Minion Method I've been using with very good results.

@Bensbites: If I were starting from scratch I'd definitely give the Kamado or Egg a serious look. $$ vs utility is how I see the tradeoff vs a bullet. As it is I've got multiple other grills surrounding my bullet and frankly, I've learned how to get the results I want on it. Were I starting from a green field though... I can see how I'd end up with one of the ceramics.

@Bishop: I can see how I might end up building my own if I had the tools and the skills available. One of the things I've been looking for for years now is a spare 18" bullet drum to expand my cooking capacity and do some "hanging meat hook cooking. Toyed with the idea of trying to fabricate one. Project got out of hand and never took off.

@Jason (The Original Poster) There's a website: AmazingRib.com He posts some excellent well thought out reviews on smokers and equipment. Knows what he's talking about. Think it might be worth a look for you. https://amazingribs.com/
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am @Bensbites: If I were starting from scratch I'd definitely give the Kamado or Egg a serious look. $$ vs utility is how I see the tradeoff vs a bullet. As it is I've got multiple other grills surrounding my bullet and frankly, I've learned how to get the results I want on it. Were I starting from a green field though... I can see how I'd end up with one of the ceramics.
I went down the Kamado rabbit hole a few years ago, I use it for everything from low and slow to a 900 F pizza oven. I have become friendly with some of the KJ folks. They sent me a classic for my bday last year and I am currently beta testing their stoker device. I would argue the Kamado steel or ceramic, is so versatile it is the only outdoor cooker needed. The Swiss Army knife of outdoor cookers.

I also moderate the kamadoguru.com forum. I know some people there hang out here.

As far as $$$, well, you don’t jump down the Jknife rabbit hold without some funds.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^ True. Thing is, my go to is an 8 burner gasser. Heresy to some but when you work and have kids simplicity is the queen of virtues. It also gets used as a third oven during large meals with relatives.

Back to charcoal... Yepp.... you're right. Odds are good if I hadn't already gone the route I did ceramic's where I'd be.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Weber Smokey Mountain. Love it.
Priced right. Lasts a lifetime.
Some great tune-up options.
Plus, add a Pizza Kettle and you have a great pizza oven too!!!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

mauichef wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:10 pm Plus, add a Pizza Kettle and you have a great pizza oven too!!!!
Hey Ray,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what is a pizza kettle?
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

An add on that you put on top of your Weber, below the cover, that turns it into a pizza oven. You have an opening on the side like a regular pizza oven.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:10 pm Plus, add a Pizza Kettle and you have a great pizza oven too!!!!
Hey Ray,

Don't mean to hijack this thread but what is a pizza kettle?
I think you are way better off with a blackstone pizza oven.

Let me know when you want to talk about thin crust high heat sourdough pizza.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Ourorboros wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm An add on that you put on top of your Weber, below the cover, that turns it into a pizza oven. You have an opening on the side like a regular pizza oven.
On top of a Bullet? I have a heck of a hard time getting my bullet to hold anything greater than 375* In fact, when I look at all the posts about high heat method I roll my eyes. Am I missing something here?
@Ben.. I got you. Thing is I'm trying to reduce the number of cooking devices on my patio. Not go the other way. Five at the moment and that's way too much.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm
Ourorboros wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:29 pm An add on that you put on top of your Weber, below the cover, that turns it into a pizza oven. You have an opening on the side like a regular pizza oven.
On top of a Bullet? I have a heck of a hard time getting my bullet to hold anything greater than 375* In fact, when I look at all the posts about high heat method I roll my eyes. Am I missing something here?
@Ben.. I got you. Thing is I'm trying to reduce the number of cooking devices on my patio. Not go the other way. Five at the moment and that's way too much.
Rob....Yep...I can get the temp up to 800+ with the Kettle Pizza attached......
https://www.kettlepizza.com
It might not be the absolute best solution but I have no need or space for a dedicated oven.
I can cook a pizza in less than 5 minutes.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

mauichef wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:52 pm Rob....Yep...I can get the temp up to 800+ with the Kettle Pizza attached......
https://www.kettlepizza.com
It might not be the absolute best solution but I have no need or space for a dedicated oven.
I can cook a pizza in less than 5 minutes.
Sorry to ask again Ray but are you doing that on a Weber Kettle or a Weber Bullet? If you've found a way to get a Bullet up to 800* F (OK. even 650* I know it gets hot where you live :mrgreen: ) I'm all in right away.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm I have a heck of a hard time getting my bullet to hold anything greater than 375*
Now to really hijack the thread:
I've been thinking of putting out a device that will let people put out more than 500F on their grills, probably in the 800 range.
A couple problems though - nothing original about it, it's just that nobody put it out to market. So IP laws can't protect me. Safety issues - well end user judgement. A lost lawsuit is a lot of money though. Pricing - ideally I'd like to get it in the $20-$25 range.
Great for searing - steaks, burgers, some fish.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Ourorboros wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 am
Robstreperous wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 pm I have a heck of a hard time getting my bullet to hold anything greater than 375*
Now to really hijack the thread:
I've been thinking of putting out a device that will let people put out more than 500F on their grills, probably in the 800 range.
A couple problems though - nothing original about it, it's just that nobody put it out to market. So IP laws can't protect me. Safety issues - well end user judgement. A lost lawsuit is a lot of money though. Pricing - ideally I'd like to get it in the $20-$25 range.
Great for searing - steaks, burgers, some fish.
If all you want is a quick sear, light up a charcoal chimney, and add a cooking grate on top.

I don’t have a WSM, but in my bbq/grilling experience all you need is a cheap harbor freight heat gun to blow air over th. lit coals. At temps over 600 F you will burn off the seasoning that seals up the WSM. There is a battery operated fan called the BBQ dragon that will stoke your fire.

B
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Oh what the heck. Thread's hijakced send out the ransom onte.

I have a pit viper and a guru Ben. I'm beginning to think we're talking about apples and oranges here. The water pan and a lot of meat act as a pretty effective heat sink. Sometimes I fill my pan with water. Sometimes with sand. What I wrote above is for normal operation during smoking on a bullet. It's designed to decrease the amplitude and velocity of the heat spikes.

Remove the heat sinks and I'm pretty sure I could get it into at least the 600s. As far as the coating... well.... I can show you pictures of mine. Survived a full on fire requiring the fire department's assistance. Story for another day. All I'm going to say is store your charcoal and firewood away from your pit.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 am Oh what the heck. Thread's hijakced send out the ransom onte.

I have a pit viper and a guru Ben. I'm beginning to think we're talking about apples and oranges here. The water pan and a lot of meat act as a pretty effective heat sink. Sometimes I fill my pan with water. Sometimes with sand. What I wrote above is for normal operation during smoking on a bullet. It's designed to decrease the amplitude and velocity of the heat spikes.

Remove the heat sinks and I'm pretty sure I could get it into at least the 600s. As far as the coating... well.... I can show you pictures of mine. Survived a full on fire requiring the fire department's assistance. Story for another day. All I'm going to say is store your charcoal and firewood away from your pit.
I don’t disagree with any of this. For comparison sake, I can get my 75 lbs Joe Jr or my 180 lbs bigJoe heatsoaked at 750F fairly easily for pizzas with any electric assistance. If someone is looking for an economical entry to the Kamado world, look at the Akorn. The only problem with them is the rust.