Fun grilled cheese sandwiche

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Ut_ron

Fun grilled cheese sandwiche

Post by Ut_ron »

You can take the guy out of New Mexico but you can’t get rid of the need for green chili.

My style of a great grilled cheese sandwich:

Good bread I used sourdough
Crispy pepper bacon
Thin sliced tomatoes
Hatch green chili
Medium cheddar cheese two slices

Bread
Cheese
Tomatoes
Green chilies
Bacon
Cheese
Bread

Grilled

I eat it before thinking about a picture, but trust me wad better then just OK. 👍😘
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Cutuu

Re: Fun grilled cheese sandwiche

Post by Cutuu »

Sounds delicous, but your forgetting one thing... American!
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Cutuu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:29 pm Sounds delicous, but your forgetting one thing... American!
😂
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Ron - Sounds great as is! I like Applewood smoked bacon however and I would stick with cheddar cheese. I still have ~ 30 pounds of Hatch Green chili in my chest freezer and I'll think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

jacko9 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm Ron - Sounds great as is! I like Applewood smoked bacon however and I would stick with cheddar cheese. I still have ~ 30 pounds of Hatch Green chili in my chest freezer and I'll think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!
I also like applewood bacon, but the pepper was on hand 😀

I buy it in hatch (great excuse for a road trip) in 50lbs bag. I have them roast it. It’s then put in double plastic bags for the trip home to my kids place about three hours away. Then we put into smaller bags skins and all. Freeze for the longer trip home.

Then when read to use thaw out a bag and the skins slide off easier then when fresh. So must faster this way.

Yes we do go through a lot of green chili.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I love a good grilled cheese but never thought of chili on it. Going to have to try that.
Watching "The best thing I ever ate" one day they had a place in LA that used Gruyere (and tellagio I think but that ones hard to find) and I made one with Gruyere, wow it was super good!
For the rest of us wanting Hatch chilies...
Attachments
IMG_1985.JPG
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Ut_ron wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 am
jacko9 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:50 pm Ron - Sounds great as is! I like Applewood smoked bacon however and I would stick with cheddar cheese. I still have ~ 30 pounds of Hatch Green chili in my chest freezer and I'll think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow!
I also like applewood bacon, but the pepper was on hand 😀

I buy it in hatch (great excuse for a road trip) in 50lbs bag. I have them roast it. It’s then put in double plastic bags for the trip home to my kids place about three hours away. Then we put into smaller bags skins and all. Freeze for the longer trip home.

Then when read to use thaw out a bag and the skins slide off easier then when fresh. So must faster this way.

Yes we do go through a lot of green chili.
Ron,

Before I retired I worked for the National Lab with HQ in Albuquerque and had to travel there often (I worked at the California lab) and many times I carried 40# burlap sacks of green chili's on the Southwest flight home (in the overhead). I roast them at home then bag them in quart zip lock bags (skin and all) and then double bag them in gallon zip lock bags for the freezer. Your right the skin slides off very easily when run under cold water when your ready to use. In recent years Raley's and Safeway super markets in California have been selling Hatch chili's in season (both hot and mild). I still have a contact down there in Albuquerque and when my supply gets low he sends me a 40# box of extra hot.

Jack
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

If you want something other than grilled cheese and chili, try smoked turkey with green chili, bacon, cheese and avocado grilled.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

Grilled cheeses?! These are all melts!

(This is an inside joke on reddit)
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I was going to say it but I didn't think anyone would get it.
timos

Post by timos »

ohh man, i just love any good bread , munster and tomato...sometimes with mayo too
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Ron. I don't recall ever eating fresh hatch chiles. I grow Anaheims and related varities in the summer, roast for sandwiches. Are Hatches much different?
Jeffry B
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

jbart65 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:25 pm Ron. I don't recall ever eating fresh hatch chiles. I grow Anaheims and related varities in the summer, roast for sandwiches. Are Hatches much different?
Sorry for the delay in responding. Was traveling and quite busy.

Yes quite a bit of difference in both favor and heat. Hatch is a very firm Chile with a lot of bite to it. Depending on how Anaheim’s are grown the can get close but it really depends on seeds you have and the amount of water used. To much and the lose a ton of flavor. Almost need to starve them the last two weeks.