Cooking tools and gadgets/tools/toys

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
keithmarder

Cooking tools and gadgets/tools/toys

Post by keithmarder »

Amazon and bourbon don't always mix. But it has led to me getting some pretty nice kitchen gadgets and tools. I love my Joule. (liked it a lot more than the Anova) . Today I bought a granite mortar and pestle. The other day a Staub Braiser.

Let's have a thread where we can discuss our favorite kitchen toys.
Robstreperous

Re: Cooking tools and gadgets/tools/toys

Post by Robstreperous »

Thermapen --- How did I ever live without it?

Secura spice grinder --- I keep the seeds and grind when needed. Keeps a little longer than those expensive bottles. Two different blades. If you've ever needed say... 1/2 cup of fresh ground pepper indispensible. Used to use a coffee grinder. This is better with stuff like corriander and allspice and the like.

Chefsmate metal boad scraper --- aside from being a decent board scraper it's a blast to use this thing to pound the snot out of garlic before mincing...
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

My Oxo Board scraper has become a trusted friend.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Robstreperous wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am Thermapen --- How did I ever live without it?

Secura spice grinder --- I keep the seeds and grind when needed. Keeps a little longer than those expensive bottles. Two different blades. If you've ever needed say... 1/2 cup of fresh ground pepper indispensible. Used to use a coffee grinder. This is better with stuff like corriander and allspice and the like.

Chefsmate metal boad scraper --- aside from being a decent board scraper it's a blast to use this thing to pound the snot out of garlic before mincing...
I have started researching the Secura. I'll see how many drinks I have tonight
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

A budget immersion blender. No immersion blender matches up to a real blender, but they are easier to get out and use for small batches of mayo or chunkier sauces. I have the dirt cheap Hamilton Beach Serious Eats recommends and it is quite useful. It is held together with spit and tape, but it was cheap and should last me a year (or a move) or three.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like my $10 Tramontina 5.5 quart Dutch oven a lot! But yeah, my immersion blender sees loads of use! Honestly though my beech wood spoon/spat thingy is my favorite kitchen toy.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I love using the mandoline. I m making a recipe with four and a quarter pounds of thinly sliced onions and it definitely was worth risking my fingers and nuckles.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

keithmarder wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 pm I love using the mandoline. I m making a recipe with four and a quarter pounds of thinly sliced onions and it definitely was worth risking my fingers and nuckles.
NO! They scare the crap out of me. I won't use one of those triangular cheese slicer things with the hole in the middle either. Took off my entire thumb pad with one. Knives, for me, seem to be the safer bet!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:19 pm
keithmarder wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:17 pm I love using the mandoline. I m making a recipe with four and a quarter pounds of thinly sliced onions and it definitely was worth risking my fingers and nuckles.
NO! They scare the crap out of me. I won't use one of those triangular cheese slicer things with the hole in the middle either. Took off my entire thumb pad with one. Knives, for me, seem to be the safer bet!
I do wear one of those cut-resistant gloves.
salemj

Post by salemj »

A good digital scale.

I use my kitchen scale for obvious things - like baking - and for less obvious things, such as mixing drinks for myself and friends, and for measuring whole coffee beans for grinding each morning. Ladyfriends get in the habit of using it to measure snacks. I'll also use it for re-calculations, such as when I want to use bulk chocolate to substitute for chips or squares or ounces of baking chocolate and the like (this is also why it is good for drinks: very easy to mix bigger or smaller on the fly using grams/ml and ratios than ounces or shot glasses and whatnot). Definitely stays out on the counter at all times and worth every penny for a good one.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Right now, I'm playing with my new Thermoworks Smoke temp gauge. It's my first digital gauge and the double probe setup makes me look like a much better cook that I really am.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm A good digital scale.

I use my kitchen scale for obvious things - like baking - and for less obvious things, such as mixing drinks for myself and friends, and for measuring whole coffee beans for grinding each morning. Ladyfriends get in the habit of using it to measure snacks. I'll also use it for re-calculations, such as when I want to use bulk chocolate to substitute for chips or squares or ounces of baking chocolate and the like (this is also why it is good for drinks: very easy to mix bigger or smaller on the fly using grams/ml and ratios than ounces or shot glasses and whatnot). Definitely stays out on the counter at all times and worth every penny for a good one.
Good call. Mine was only like $15 and may not be the best in the world, idk, but it sure works well for me! I use that thing so much. Hell, even for knife and stone reviews. :mrgreen:

Man, what would we do without our gadgets?
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm I like my $10 Tramontina 5.5 quart Dutch oven a lot! But yeah, my immersion blender sees loads of use! Honestly though my beech wood spoon/spat thingy is my favorite kitchen toy.
Isn't it great when you catch a deal like that?

I picked up my Sur La Table braiser for $40 for some reason. Other than the name on the lid I simply can't distinguish it from the Staub. Now it's among my most used pots.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Robstreperous wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 am
Kit Craft wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm I like my $10 Tramontina 5.5 quart Dutch oven a lot! But yeah, my immersion blender sees loads of use! Honestly though my beech wood spoon/spat thingy is my favorite kitchen toy.
Isn't it great when you catch a deal like that?

I picked up my Sur La Table braiser for $40 for some reason. Other than the name on the lid I simply can't distinguish it from the Staub. Now it's among my most used pots.
Yeah, it is great. Walmart still sells them but not at this location so they were on clearance! I bought 4...Gifts.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

No more kitchen tools until I build more kitchen cabinets - and that almost means expanding the kitchen! Yikes, I guess we'll just use the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. Chuck roast, potatoes and carrots good to go for ten more hours!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

jacko9 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:37 am No more kitchen tools until I build more kitchen cabinets - and that almost means expanding the kitchen! Yikes, I guess we'll just use the slow cooker for tonight's dinner. Chuck roast, potatoes and carrots good to go for ten more hours!
Living in NYC, storage is at a minimum. So, I have had to live without a food processor and a few other bigger items.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

My wife loves her electric tea kettle.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:19 pm A good digital scale...
Not only good for in the kitchen but for weighing parcels for pass around knives. :mrgreen:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

+1 on the digital scale (myweigh kd8000 is my preferred model at about $35)

I'll add to the list a microplane (model 40001), and the Bernzomatic TS8000 Propane torch
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Propane torch sounds really cool to have