making stock

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
timos

making stock

Post by timos »

I love making stocks. I have been working on building up my supply of frozen delicious home made liquids but still do not have a good method for getting a nice and clear stock. What are some good strainers/methods out there to use?
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Nmiller21k

Re: making stock

Post by Nmiller21k »

Clear stock, or consomme?
timos

Post by timos »

I am not so sure on terminology but what I have is a pretty concentrated "stock" a cursory search of consomme is yielding some good reading so far :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

1) do not boil it
2) constant skimming of the surface both for fat and impurities
3) strain and chill
4) After chill remove the fat that comes up
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

timos wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:37 am I am not so sure on terminology but what I have is a pretty concentrated "stock" a cursory search of consomme is yielding some good reading so far :)
I am fairly new to making stock. I know there are some sauces that you want clear stock for, but in most cases, are you skimming off flavor?
timos

Post by timos »

I must just be doing a poor job or maybe a need finer mesh strainers? My stuff is no wear close to clear, I was just wondering if there is some good go to strainers/equipment to do it.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

You will never get a clear stock.
They will almost always be cloudy.
Especially homemade stocks.
If you want it super clear you'll have to clarify the stock.
You want them fat free, cloudy is okay.

No you're not skimming off flavor, your skimming off impurities, especially with chicken stocks. Those foam rafts that float to the top aren't desirable.
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I get very clear stocks at home using scraps that I save. I use three large ziplocks of frozen scraps and put them in a 3.5 gallon pot and fill with water. Season as desired. Bring to the simmer and then put in a 200F oven over night. In the morning I strain through a doubled over tea towel (or use several layers of cheese cloth). I then return to the stove top and reduce the stock by about a third to concentrate the flavor. I skim throughout the process. At the end, I tend to add some Irish moss (I use it for brewing) which helps pick up some particles. The stock then gets put into quart jars and pressure canned so that it is shelf stable. The stock is usually a perfectly clear amber, with residue on the bottom of the quart jar. So, if you shake it up, it will be cloudy. If you just pour it off, it is clear.
timos

Post by timos »

thank you all for the tips!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Are we talking about stocks or broth?

Distinct difference
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm Are we talking about stocks or broth?

Distinct difference
My thoughts too by the time I reached the end of this thread.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Stock is almost never clear
Broth can very clear
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

Nmiller21k wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:36 pm Stock is almost never clear
Broth can very clear
Is that the difference? Clarity? Or something else, in addition? I was under the impression that the difference was in the end use: Stocks went in to things whereas broths were meant to be consumed as a primary. So, you'd want to clarify the stock to make broth, but is that it?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Stocks have long cook times and usually are cloudy due to the base ingredients used. Such high collagen animal parts.
Think roasted beef knuckle bones, veal marrow bones and chicken feet are a favorite of mine for stock.
Then a traditional mire poix is added, I generally omit aromatics such as herbs because those will be addded in the next product either braising liquid soup or sauces.

Broths: lean non fatty meats, mirepoix, aromatics and are a finished product, seasoned and ready to eat.
Shorter cooking times
I will generally used cleaneded and cubed beef shank for beef broth.

The adavantage of stocks over broth is you can clarify stocks for a consomee which is in the broth category, and gets more intense flavor
Or use stock as a base for a new stock or even make traditional demi glacé

I am VERY old school with stock production.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Nmiller21k wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 am Stocks have long cook times and usually are cloudy due to the base ingredients used. Such high collagen animal parts.
Think roasted beef knuckle bones, veal marrow bones and chicken feet are a favorite of mine for stock.
Then a traditional mire poix is added, I generally omit aromatics such as herbs because those will be addded in the next product either braising liquid soup or sauces.

Broths: lean non fatty meats, mirepoix, aromatics and are a finished product, seasoned and ready to eat.
Shorter cooking times
I will generally used cleaneded and cubed beef shank for beef broth.

The adavantage of stocks over broth is you can clarify stocks for a consomee which is in the broth category, and gets more intense flavor
Or use stock as a base for a new stock or even make traditional demi glacé

I am VERY old school with stock production.

Thanks. I have only recently started down the stock production route as a home cook. I appreciate the education.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I use a PID controller to keep my stock pot at 200 F on a hot plate. I always start with cold water and cook time is usually 48hrs. This method extracts everything from the ingredients and makes a very healthy and delicious bone broth. I chill overnight and remove any fat from the surface - comes out clear as a bell.