garlic parmesan wing sauce?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
snipes

garlic parmesan wing sauce?

Post by snipes »

Looking for some tips on making a tasty garlic and parmesan sauce for chicken wings. It's my son's favorite flavor and I made a batch for him last go round and I wasn't happy with how the sauce came out. Basically I put melted butter, garlic powder, some minced garlic and a bunch of freshly shaved parmesan in a bowl and tossed the finished wings in it. The issue was the butter didn't stick to the wings (all stayed in the bottom of the bowl) and made them soggy. The boy is 10 so he ate everything I put in front of him, but I'd like to improve the recipe a bit. Any thoughts? It needs to stick with that basic flavor profile though, using things like sour creme, etc. will be a no go. Basically a thicker version would be close to perfect.
dAviD

Re: garlic parmesan wing sauce?

Post by dAviD »

I have a receipe from a place I worked in upstate NY, I'll dig around and try to find it for you.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Maybe try a garlic and parm mounted buerre sauce?

Maybe start with a butter white wine sauce and add garlic and parm
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

dAviD wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm I have a receipe from a place I worked in upstate NY, I'll dig around and try to find it for you.
where upstate did you work. I lived in Albany for a long time.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I make a homemade mayo that has alot of lemon. I dont thicken it fully and fold in fresh herbs and alit of grated parm. Its fantastic
dAviD

Post by dAviD »

keithmarder wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am
dAviD wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:30 pm I have a receipe from a place I worked in upstate NY, I'll dig around and try to find it for you.
Rochester NY!
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

dAviD wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:19 pm
keithmarder wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:22 am
Rochester NY!
Ahhhhh. The Flower City.
Rufus Leaking

Post by Rufus Leaking »

I eat a lot of wings. The secret to making wings is to choose a less fatty wing, include the entire wing, tip, drumette, and the radius and ulna piece all together. Dry them off. Season. I use Korean chili flakes and good salt- himalyan pink- then the crucial ingredient, sugar. Not a lot of sugar, about as much as you would use if it were salt. I bake them on the floor of the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, then under the broiler for ten minutes, being careful not to burn the sugar. You actually want the sugar to burn slightly- this makes the wings crisp, and your sauce should cling if you toss the wings in it. Back to the choice of wings: I buy the cheap ones, NOT Perdue, but the off brand. You want the wings to be smaller, and less fatty if you can get them. The caramelization of the sugar is crucial to getting crispy skin without frying, and I use turbinado sprinkled as if it were kosher salt. If you do it right, the sugar will be slightly burnt, offsetting any lingering sweetness. I make a “sauce” of kikkoman soy, red boat fish sauce and fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and toss the wings in about 1/4 cup for a dozen wings.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Thanks for the tips so far guys. Rufus, appreciate the input, but before this thread goes sideways my issue isn't soggy or fatty wings initially. They are crisp until they end up sitting in a pool of hot butter from the wing heat. FWIW I do them on a smoker 90min@240 then 2-3 min on each side under the broiler to crisp them up.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

snipes wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:06 pm Thanks for the tips so far guys. Rufus, appreciate the input, but before this thread goes sideways my issue isn't soggy or fatty wings initially. They are crisp until they end up sitting in a pool of hot butter from the wing heat. FWIW I do them on a smoker 90min@240 then 2-3 min on each side under the broiler to crisp them up.
I like my wings on the grill. 350, indirect heat, 45-60 min. Crisp skin from the fat rendering while the meat is tender from the collagen dissolving. I wish I could help on the garlic parm sauce, I googled for the answer. I was hopping I could point you to a source I trusted but I found numerous recipes from sources I do not know.