Carnitas de Puerco

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Mike9

Carnitas de Puerco

Post by Mike9 »

With three Nor'Easters in 12 days I've been busy in the kitchen in between plowing snow.

This is adapted from Rick Bayless' recipe. Instead of water for the braise I reduced cola with crystallized ginger and used that seasoning the pork with salt pepper and smoked paprika. The topping is a red cabbage slaw with a lime/ginger/honey dressing. Day #1 was delicious, Day #2 however was over the top. I cooked off a package of good quality breakfast sausage and deglazed the pan with more cola and ginger then used that liquid to deglaze the roasting pan with the leftover pork - oh boy enjoy!! I urge y'all to try this.

Bensbites

Re: Carnitas de Puerco

Post by Bensbites »

Looks great Mike!

Where are you? I am guessing I have been though the same storms here in Boston.
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

I'm in Ghent, NY not far from the Mass border.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Mike9 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:38 am With three Nor'Easters in 12 days I've been busy in the kitchen in between plowing snow.

This is adapted from Rick Bayless' recipe. Instead of water for the braise I reduced cola with crystallized ginger and used that seasoning the pork with salt pepper and smoked paprika. The topping is a red cabbage slaw with a lime/ginger/honey dressing. Day #1 was delicious, Day #2 however was over the top. I cooked off a package of good quality breakfast sausage and deglazed the pan with more cola and ginger then used that liquid to deglaze the roasting pan with the leftover pork - oh boy enjoy!! I urge y'all to try this.

Is that his slow cooker recipe?
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

No it's done in the oven about an hour and a half. You cover with foil and cook for an hour @ 400 F then remove foil and let cook in its own fat till done - another 20 -30 minutes turning as you go. Normally I use pork shoulder sawn 1-1/2" thick, but with the storm I couldn't get to the big town so chops had to suffice. Hey - no one complained :lol:
timos

Post by timos »

looks good, i will try it
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Looks excellent, Mike. How'd you get the nice color on the cabbage? Looks pickled.

I made a Cuban-style version of this dish last year. More citrusy. I was worried that two-step cooking process would lead to tough meat, but it was quite tender.
Last edited by jbart65 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeffry B
Mike9

Post by Mike9 »

Thanks Jeffry - The ginger/lime really brought out the color I was pleasantly surprised by it. A drizzle of honey mixed in helped make the flavor pop too.