Tortillas (flour)

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
jbart65

Tortillas (flour)

Post by jbart65 »

I started making my own corn tacos last year. Got a press and do it regularly now. Make a double batch and freeze. Super easy because no yeast is involved and a press does all the hard work.

Figured: why don't I try flour tortillas too? More work, to be sure. The dough has to be rolled out, and of course they wont be totally ... round!

First time, they came out tasting great. I'll go a little easier cooking them next time. Heat was too high and they weren't as pliable.

Not the nicest presentation, but I was too hungry!

Jeffry B
Bensbites

Re: Tortillas (flour)

Post by Bensbites »

Wow. Yumm!

I started making corn tortillas a couple years ago, and I can’t go to store bought corn anymore. I am afraid to ruin flour tortillas too
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Why can't you use a press for flour tortillas? I've been thinking about getting one for tortillas & making wrappers (wonton, eggroll).
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Ourorboros wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:36 am Why can't you use a press for flour tortillas? I've been thinking about getting one for tortillas & making wrappers (wonton, eggroll).
I think it has to do with the gluten and elasticity of flour dough vs playability of the corn dough.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

As Ben notes, corn flour is very pliable. Like Playdough. Wheat flour is not.

I cut a large ziplock bag on the sides, place a ball of corn dough in the middle and press. A second or two later and you’ve got a round and thin tortilla about 6 inches wide.

Corn flour does not pull back on itself like wheat flour. You can still use a press with the technique described above, but you have to approach it a bit differently.

Let the wheat flour dough rest awhile to make it more pliable. Up to an hour or more. Hold the press down quite hard on the tortilla for about 20 seconds to get it as thin as possible and make it “set” at a reasonable size. And cook immediately. You can lay each one down on a cloth while you make them all, but you will get more shrinkage.

The upshot is that it takes longer and you can’t really make large wheat-based tortillas that would be suitable for a dinner burrito. The tortillas will be about the size of corn-based shells found in grocery stores.

A press will work better for wontons and the like since they are smaller. Not sure you will be able to get them as thin as you like, but you can get them thin enough.
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Jeffry, they look good to me! Yummy! I just started making my own shortcrust pastry, which is big for me because I am not a baker at all! Too much science involved. Turned out fairly good but the quiche was only 'meh'...lol. Anyway, those tacos look very good. These sorts of posts are inspiring. I think I want to try to make some tortillas too.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Tortillas and corn tacos are easy because no yeast is involved. I don't go crazy with baking, Kit, but I make a variety of simpler things. Pizza dough, rustic loaves, french bread, focaccia, flat bread, naan, pita.

For desserts, mainly yeast-based waffles, scones and biscotti. Just made biscottis with orange, chocolate and hazelnuts.

Jeffry B