Snakehead?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
cjdilts

Snakehead?

Post by cjdilts »

New fish popped up on my seafood list. Anyone have any one have experience with snakefish?
Carter

Re: Snakehead?

Post by Carter »

They are an invasive and aggressive dominant species that has infiltrated the fresh water canals in south Florida (assume they are probably in other states as well)...they are indigenous to SE Asia. They are gaining popularity as a game fish and also as a food fish. I have never had it and never saw it at any of the fish markets in Miami....I guess there is not a viable commercial market, other than maybe farm raising them in isolated ponds. I know people eat them, but I have no first hand experience. They are becoming a major problem in SFL along with the Burmese pythons.
Robstreperous

Re: Snakehead?

Post by Robstreperous »

I used to see them back when I was keeping freshwater fish --- they were mean and aggressive suckers. They were kept with the larger cichlids like Oscars and would grow to be pretty big. The rumor was you could cut off the rear section, they'd live and regenerate. Never thought about eating them.

As a general rule I've never really given much thought to, I'd heard that the more aggressive the fish the stronger their taste. If so these guys should have a pretty strong taste.