Bread Day!!

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
arthurfowler

Bread Day!!

Post by arthurfowler »

I was working at home today and thought I would bake some bread. 70% white and 30% malted wholegrain.

Bensbites

Re: Bread Day!!

Post by Bensbites »

Very nice! I need to pick up bread baking again.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Looks awesome Gareth! Cornbread is about the only bread I can do... :D Not one of my skilled areas.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:59 pm Looks awesome Gareth! Cornbread is about the only bread I can do... :D Not one of my skilled areas.
It’s not that hard if you want to learn. I have coached people from noknead to SD hearth loaves.
arthurfowler

Post by arthurfowler »

Thanks Ben, these were probably the 1st loaves I have made in a year.

Thanks Jeff, I would recommend you get Ken Forkish’s Flour Water Salt Yeast book. For me his ‘overnight white’ bread delivers consistent amazing bread with little effort. Look at his YouTube videos.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

arthurfowler wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:03 pm Thanks Ben, these were probably the 1st loaves I have made in a year.

Thanks Jeff, I would recommend you get Ken Forkish’s Flour Water Salt Yeast book. For me his ‘overnight white’ bread delivers consistent amazing bread with little effort. Look at his YouTube videos.
When I get people started, I like to make them look at Joseph baker’ bread book. He walks the reader through building skills over about 11 loaves. He starts with no-knead yeast- white bread in a loaf pan and builds skills up to SD hearth loaf. If you scroll way way back in my IG feed, you can find my loaves.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You guys definitely have me interested in giving this a try. Hope others post some of their bread endeavors and you keep adding to this.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I'm new at bread making but have tried several kinds of bread.All came out really tasty.Now the wife bought me a bread making machine a while back and it is so easy.Just add the ingredients and about 4 hours later,done. However,nothing beats what bread my Grandmother made when she was living.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have dabbled with bread over the years and had and gave away my bread machine, and just got into Flour Water Salt Yeast and this is my first experiment: Overnight White Bread
Attachments
RenderedImage.JPG
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Bob Z wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 pm I have dabbled with bread over the years and had and gave away my bread machine, and just got into Flour Water Salt Yeast and this is my first experiment: Overnight White Bread
Love that book! Well worth it for anyone getting into bread, imo. Some initial equipment costs upfront (banneton baskets, 12qt bucket, Dutch oven), but bread that friends and family rave about makes it all worth it.

Great looking bread Bob.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I'll add my support -- I learned to bake from the Forkish book. It's great. You don't really need the big Cambro (until the entire neighborhood wants your bread). But you do need the Dutch oven and kitchen scale. Bannetons are a plus, but Amazon is gouging right now.
bruin

Post by bruin »

I know it’s a popular book, but I’m glad to see so many of you into the Forkish book. My wife worked front of house at one of his bakeries in Portland when we lived there and I had the great pleasure to try most of their products... definitely some of the best baked goods I’ve eaten. One of their croissants fresh out of the oven, hot with liquid butter between the layers stands out as one of the best things I’ve ever eaten.