The perfect Crepes

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Kalaeb

Re: The perfect Crepes

Post by Kalaeb »

Drewski wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm
lsboogy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:52 pm Julia Child crepes

Put a cup of flour, 2/3 cup milk and 2/3 cup water and three eggs in a bowl (or blender) and mix until very smooth (I use a whisk). Add a dash of salt and a few tbs melted butter, stir a few more times and put in fridge (or on camp table when temp is 40 degrees F) covered with a towel for a while to let the air escape (I do an hour or two). Cook on a hot buttered surface
Used this recipe tonight on my as yet unused Mauviel crepe pan. Was my first time ever making crepes. Everything worked perfectly, which almost never happens to me haha. Recipe was dead easy and the pan, which I seasoned in the oven 2 coats, was super nonstick. In the crepes was Asian inspired braised pork shoulder, pickled cabbage and radishes. For dessert, cream cheese and blueberry jam. Found that the recipe above was just enough for 2 people. Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
My daughter saw this pic this morning on my computer as I was scrolling through this thread...we are having crepes for dinner tonight. (Guess I should leave the pic up more often)
LaVieestBelle

Re: The perfect Crepes

Post by LaVieestBelle »

What a great thread to read while driving around France in my stick shift rental..... And I just stocked up on some Armagnac-infused chestnut purée to stuff crepes with back home.

One little thought....if you are making a savory crepe, especially in the Brittany tradition...you can use buckwheat flour rather than standard. Great with the classic crepes that include grated Gruyere, ham, eggs. Washed down of course with some Brittany cider.

Rarely I have seen crepes made from chestnut flour. I do like the buckwheat for some savory uses.